NUMBERS 1-16 THE SQUARE, CHAPEL AND BOUNDARY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1061561

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 1-16 THE SQUARE, CHAPEL AND BOUNDARY WALL, FROLESWORTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 1-16 THE SQUARE, CHAPEL AND BOUNDARY WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061561 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 04:51:35.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 1-16 THE SQUARE, CHAPEL AND BOUNDARY WALL, FROLESWORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough (District Authority)

Parish: Frolesworth

National Grid Reference: SP5066590402

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FROLESWORTH FROLESWORTH ROAD (West Side) SP59 SW 3/23 Nos. 1-16 The Square, Chapel and Boundary Wall (formerly listed as Almshouses) 11.1.55

GV II Alms Houses with boundary wall and chapel. Original foundation was of 1725, when four houses were built, 10 more were added in 1761, 10 in 1796 and 1824. The existing buildings would appear to be largely of the late C18 to early Cl9: the resultant 24 cottages were modified to form 16 dwellings in c1965. Brick with Swithland slate roofs. Forms three sides of a courtyard, facing inwards. The chapel is central to the northern range, with an early Cl9 frontispiece: stone round headed archway with carved spandrels is flanked by a cupola containing clock.

Listing NGR: SP5066590402

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 191172

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing