CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1061566

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061566 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 00:48:00.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough (District Authority)

Parish: Kibworth Beauchamp

National Grid Reference: SP 68434 94170

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIBWORTH BEAUCHAMP CHURCH ROAD (East Side) SP 69 SE 6/61 7.12.66 Church of St. Wilfrid II* GV Church. C13 - C15 and 1832, restored 1860-4. Tower of 1832 by William Flint of Leicester, and restoration by W. Slater of London. Coursed rubble stone and ashlar with leaded roofs. Stone coped gables with cross finials. Buttresses and angle buttresses with set-offs. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel, N chancel vestry and N and S porches. Tower of ashlar of 3 stages. Plinth, diagonal buttresses with set-offs, W doorway with many-moulded arch, W window with C19 stained glass, clock faces to N,S and W, 4 2-light bell openings, quatrefoil frieze, battlements and crocketted pinnacles as continuations of buttresses. Many-moulded segmental nave arch. C14 4 bay arcades, the mouldings with 2 sunk quadrants continuing to floor. Perp clerestory with 4 2-light flat-topped windows to either side. Ball flower and head frieze on outside above them. C19 4 bay roof with curved braces on carved stone corbels. N aisle has NW window with Curvilinear tracery, 3 N windows with Curvilinear or Reticulated tracery, 2 with stained glass of 1864. NE window with Reticulated tracery and stained glass of 1857. Piscina with blind Curvilinear tracery. C15 N porch with niche over doorway and 1-light window to each side. Chancel arch similar to arcade, and over it, to N a diamond window of 4 quatrefoils, and to S a round window of 3 mouchettes. Chancel has 3 N windows, 1 with stained glass of 1942, E window with Curvilinear tracery and stained glass of 1865 and 3 S windows, 1 with stained glass of 1894. Triple sedilia with cusped arches and shafts and restored piscina. S doorway with, on outside, roll moulding and hood mould with dog tooth moulding. Small S 1-light window with C19 stained glass. N of chancel, a late C19 vestry. S aisle has SW and 3 S windows with Curvilinear tracery and stained glass of 1884 and 1906. SE window with Reticulated tracery and stained glass of 1874. Piscina with blind tracery. S doorway with probably medieval door. C15 S porch with niche over door (C19 statue within) and 2-light window on each side. C14 octagonal font with blind arcade decoration (C19 base). Wall monument to William Parker, died 1699. Perp screen, largely renewed 1868. Pevsner and V.C.H., Vol. V.

Listing NGR: SP6843494170

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 191083

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

End of official listing