Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1061581

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061581 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 02:21:24.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough (District Authority)

Parish: Shangton

National Grid Reference: SP 71538 96001


SHANGTON SP79 NW 4/96 7.12.66 Church of St. Nicholas GV II* C13-C15, 1863 and 1874. Coursed rubble stone with quoins and leaded, Swithland slate and Welsh slate roofs. Stone coped gables with finials. Nave with W. bellcote, chancel, N. vestry, and S. porch. Nave has buttresses with set-offs and flat-topped Perp. windows. W. 2-light with tiny 1-light to S. over. Gabled bellcote with 2 rounded arches and bells. N. 2-light, doorway, and 3-light. 2 S. 3-lights, that to E. with foliage label stops to hood mould. S. doorway with stepped arch. Mainly C19/C20 4 bay low-pitch tie-beam roof. Double chamfered chancel arch (triple to E.), the inner on polygonal responds. N. vestry and organ chamber of 1874 with arch of same date to chancel. E. wall of chancel rebuilt 1863 and has window with Geometric tracery filled with stained glass of 1877 by Heaton and Butler. 2 S. windows, E. with Curvilinear tracery and C19 stained glass. Aumbry. C19 2 bay roof. S. porch has doorway with single chamfered arch. Late C14/C15 octagonal font. Frieze of quatrefoils reset as reredos. Marble wall monument erected by Matthew Saunders, 1612, to wife Margaret, died 1605. Strapwork and flanking columns. Their tomb slabs are immediately W. of altar. Possibly some medieval work in fragment of mainly C19 screen standing at W. end. V.C.H., Vol. V, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SP7153896001


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 191118

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

End of official listing