CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1061583

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061583 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 16:00:46.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough (District Authority)

Parish: Tur Langton

National Grid Reference: SP 71360 94542

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TUR LANGTON HIGH STREET (South Side) SP79 SW 7/104 7.12.66 Church of St. Andrew G V II* Church. 1865/6. By Joseph Goddard of Leicester. Red brick with stone dressings and dark blue brick string courses. Welsh slate roof with stone coped gables and finials. Decoration both outside and inside in cut brick and dark blue brick. In the Early English style. N W tower and spire, nave, N aisle, chancel and S chancel vestry. Tower of 3 storeys with angle buttresses, N.W. doorway, paired lancets on 2nd stage with small round window over, and 4 shafted triple lancet bell openings. Moulded and cut brick frieze. Broach spire with 1 tier of lucarnes, finial and weathercock. Large W window with lancets and rose window over. Plate tracery and stained glass of 1877. 4 bay N arcade, the arches with cut brick decoration, on circular piers. N clerestory of small quatrefoil windows. 5 3-light S windows with plate tracery. 5 bay roof with curved braces to collars. N aisle has paired lancet windows. Semi-circular chancel apse with lancets filled with stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Wagon roof to chancel, the braces round the apse supported on shafts and stone corbels. S. chancel vestry with lean-to roof. N chancel organ chamber. Pevsner and V.C.H., Vol.V.

Listing NGR: SP7136094542

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 191126

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

End of official listing