CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1061661

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061661 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 17:16:12.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough (District Authority)

Parish: Allexton

National Grid Reference: SK 81762 00407

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALLEXTON

SK 80 SW

1/2 Church of St. Peter

29.12.66 GV II*

Church. C12 - C13 and C15, much restored 1862/3 including new roof and aisles. Coursed squared stone and rubble stone and stone dressings. Welsh slate roof with stone coped gables. Buttresses, some with set-offs. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel, and N chancel porch. C15 tower of 2 stages with W buttresses, W window, blocked S arch and blocked window within. SW staircase has W loopholes and projects to S. 4 2-light bell openings, W with later transom. Battlements and small, low, recessed, leaded spirelet with weathervane. Blocked double chamfered nave arch with door. Late Norman 2 bay N arcade carefully rebuilt 1862. Arches with roll and zig-zag mouldings. Round pier with capitals and responds with lobed frieze to capitals. 2 bay S arcade with double chamfered arches on octagonal pier. 2 2-light dormers to C19 roof of 2 bays and ½ bay at either end. Curved braces to collars. N aisle has windows with plate tracery, one with fragments of medieval glass. Many-moulded chancel arch, also rebuilt. Chancel has 2 windows to N and S, both to E flat-topped. E window of 1862 with Decorated tracery. C19 stained glass. Gabled porch to vestry, probably of 1862, with flat-topped doorway. Window with fragments of medieval stained glass. Chancel roof similar to nave. Chancel also has small N 1-light, N doorway, and S piscina. S aisle has 1-light windows to W and E and flat-topped 3-light to S. Many-moulded S doorway with a shaft either side. To either side a medieval carved stone lion couchant on plinth. Both aisles rebuilt 1862/3 after being pulled down late C16. C15 font. Pevsner, and White's Leicestershire and Rutland 1877.

Listing NGR: SK8176200407

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 190904

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984)
'Whites Directory' in Leicestershire and Rutland, (1877)

End of official listing