CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1061749
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061749 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 11:09:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
South Kyme
National Grid Reference:
TF 16854 49788

Details

TF 14 NE SOUTH KYME CHURCH LANE

7/13 Church of St Mary and All Saints 1.2.67 GV II*

Parish church, former Augustinian Priory founded before 1196. Cll, C14, restored and largely rebuilt 1890 by Hodgson Fowler. Single cell, 4-bay church with nave occupying western 3 bays, the chancel is marked by a buttress, plus a south porch. Ashlar with a steeply pitched plain tile roof, ashlar coped gables with a cross-finial over the east gable and a bellcote over the west. Deeply moulded and chamfered plinth. West wall has 2 gabled buttresses delineating the former south aisle, with a moulded sill band under a 2-light pointed arch window with Curvilinear tracery and a square niche, the former bottom corner of the nave west window. The gable is surmounted by an ashlar bellcote with moulded bands and a round-headed arch topped by an ogee pyramid. The north wall has 2 buttresses with set-offs and a kill gabled lateral stick, plus 2 tall, 2-light lancets and a pointed arch doorway. The east wall has a sill band below a 5-light, 4-centred arch window with Perpendicular tracery, and hoodmould, plus diagonal buttresses. South wall has a deep, shallow arched tomb recess to the east, and 3 tall, 3-light pointed arch windows with Curvilinear tracery, plus a gabled buttress with an elaborate ogee-headed niche. Projecting gabled porch with coped gable and cross finial, gabled buttresses and a pointed archway with a moulded double chamfered arch, and single shaft piers. Above, a gabled elaborate ogee-headed nich contain- ing a Coronation of the Virgin. Inner doorway has an elaborate round-arched door- way with double arches decorated with lozenges broken round the angle of a mould- ing, and 2 orders of shafts with scalloped and volute capitals. Interior has a single triple shafted, keeled respond to the former nave arcade. Ashlar octagonal bowl and stem font. C19 wooden pews and pulpit. Wooden rood screen, choir stalls, organ case, altar and reredos. In the eastern corner of the north wall, are 6 pieces of important C8, Saxon interlace, decorated carving. West wall has a good wall monument to Marmeduke Dickinson, 1711, with a curved surround, of a single figure each side and segmental pediment containing a cherub's head and wings. North wall has 8 black and white marble wall tablets to the Peacock family, and the south wall 3 similar marble wall tablets to the Cust family.

Listing NGR: TF1685449788

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192770
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06601/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Patrick Banister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].