PARISH CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1061795
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061795.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:02:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton and Haceby
National Grid Reference:
TF 04792 36218

Details

TF 03 NW NEWTON AND HACEBY CHURCH LANE, (north side)

6/39 Parish Church of 1.2.67. St. Botolph.

G. V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1867. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar, slate and lead roofs having raised stone coped gables and crested ridges. West tower, nave, aisles, south porch, chancel and south chapel, vestry. Tall 4 stage early C13 west tower with chamfered plinth and string courses, set back buttresses and plain parapet with angle pinnacles. In the belfry are paired C15 trefoil headed lights with Perpendicular tracery to the heads and pointed chamfered surrounds. To the west is a 2 light window with crude intersecting tracery and pointed head. In the third stage are single Y-traceried louvered lights with pointed heads. In the west wall of the south aisle is a C14 2 light reticulated window with cusped ogee tracery and a quatrefoil. The C14 north aisle has a continuously moulded and pointed doorway and 2 three light reticulated windows with cusped ogees, quatrefoils and triangular headed wave moulded surrounds. The C19 vestry has a pointed doorway and a 3 light window with mullions and cusped 4 centred arched heads to the lights. In the east wall is a C15 2 light window with Perpendicular tracery. The C13 chancel east window has 4 tall lights with slender intersecting tracery to the pointed head. The C13 south chapel has a plain parapet and a 2 light reticulated window to the east with cusped ogee arches, trefoils and a triangular headed surround, and to the south are 2 repositioned C13 2 light windows with geometric tracery comprising a trilobe, trefoils and a quatrefoil, all in pointed and chamfered surrounds. The 1867 south aisle has 2 two light windows with geometric tracery and pointed chamfered surrounds. The contemporary gabled south porch has a pointed and wave moulded outer arch with engaged shafted reveals. The inner door has C13 moulded and filleted reveals and C19 capitals to the moulded head.Interior: 3 bay C13 nave arcades with octagonal shafts, moulded and splayed capitals and double chamfered arches. There are human heads to the label stops and at the east end of the south arcade the respond also bears a human mask. Early C13 tower arch with chamfered and roll moulded head and single angle shafts, one with a cushion capital. C19 chancel arch with clustered and collared shafted reveals is flanked by single triangular headed archways dying into the reveals; there are single similar arches in the side walls of the chancel. The south chapel has a pointed headed piscina to the south and to the north a matching squint. The chancel has a C13 double piscina on the south side, now with C19 tracery and shaft, but retaining the original dogtoothed triangular surround with 3 human heads. On the north side is an early C14 tomb recess with moulded ogee arch bedecked with ballflowers and floriate finial. The tapering coffin lid has fleurons to the chamfered sides. Fittings are C19 including the gilded alabaster altar and reredos depicting Christ in Majesty and the 4 Evangelists. Panelled octagonal oak pulpit with ashlar base. Plain tapering octagonal font with chamfered base and graffito 'Thomas' to the east. Monument: In the south chapel an alabaster wall plaque with broken segmental cornice, paterae and armorial escutcheon to Mary Savile, d. 1637, bolection moulded rectangular inscription panel and moulded base with cherub flanked by scrolls.

Listing NGR: TF0479236218

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192674
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/04275/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John M. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].