Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061833.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:07:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Kesteven (District Authority)
Asgarby and Howell
National Grid Reference:
TF 13507 46256


ASGARBY AND HOWELL HOWELL TF 14 NW 3/10 Church of St. Oswald 1/2/67 G.V. II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, restored 1870. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar, slate roofs. Nave with bellcote, chancel, South porch, north aisle and chapel. West end of C14 ashlar added to earlier rubble nave. 2 light west window with reticulated tracery in a pointed surround, flanked by stepped buttresses. Above a gabled double bellcote with pointed bell openings. The north aisle has a single C13 lancet in a chamfered surround to the west. The north wall of the aisle has 2 two light C15 windows with trefoil heads and chamfered rectangular surrounds, also a blocked segmental headed doorway. The C15 north chapel contains 2 two light windows in the north wall with cusped ogee tracery, quatrefoils to the heads and hollow chamfered rectangular surrounds. To the east is a 3 light window with cusped intersecting tracery in a hollow chamfered pointed surround. The C14 chancel east window is of 2 lights with reticulated tracery. In the south wall of the chancel are 2 matching windows, one C19. In the south wall of the nave is a 3 light C16 panel traceried window with slightly pointed heads to the lights and a hollow chamfered surround. The gabled south porch has a continuously moulded outer doorway with above a stone shield of arms. Side benches. The reset C12 inner doorway has nook shafts, cushion capitals, a plain tympanum with scratch dial and a single plain order beneath the chamfered hood mould. Interior: 3 bay north arcade of c.1200, circular piers, annular capitals, octagonal responds, double chamfered round arches. At the east end of the north aisle a pointed double chamfered C13 archway with shafted reveals leads into the north chapel. In the north wall of the chancel is a similar opening. In the south wall is a single and in the north wall a double aumbry. In the north chapel is a further aumbry, 2 statue brackets on the east wall and to the west a blocked circular quatrefoil window. Fittings: in the north chapel are 6 quarries of C15 painted glass. Early C18 tapering turned baluster altar rails with moulded handrail. C19 openwork ashlar pulpit. C14 octagonal font with cusped quatrefoil panels, armorial shields and moulded underside to plain octagonal stem. In the porch is a C10 tapering limestone ashlar grave slab with a tall central raised cross flanked by single smaller crosses. Monuments: in the north chapel a cusped pointed C14 tomb recess contains a ledger slab depicting busts of a lady and a child, both praying and in trefoiled surrounds. Also in the north chapel an alabaster wall monument to Sir Charles Dymoke and wife with 2 praying figures in a surround of Corinthian columns supported on acanthus brackets with a moulded entablature and armorial escutcheon. In the sanctuary a low relief slab to John Croxby, Rector, c.1470, a robed and tonsured figure beneath a trefoil arch, black letter marginal inscription. In the chancel is a similar plain slab with marginal inscription to Sir Nicholas de Hebden d.1416 and his wife Katherine d.1424. A further slab in the nave of 1458 commemorates Richard Boteler and his wife.

Listing NGR: TF1350746256


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06601/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Patrick Banister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].