CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1061970
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061970 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:36:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Thorpe on the Hill
National Grid Reference:
SK 90859 65464

Details

SK 96 NW THORPE-ON-THE-HILL MAIN STREET 4/44 (north-east side) 23.8.67 Church Of St Michael and All Angels

II

Parish Church. C13, C18, C19 and C20. Stone with slate ridge roof. West tower, 5 bay nave and single north aisle. Tower, mostly rebuilt 1722 with square pyramidal slate roof, contains blocked Norman window and re-set blocked C13 pointed doorway. Western door of 1722 with semi-circular moulding above, and small circular window above. Remainder of Church built C13, rebuilt 1722 and almost completely re-built 1912 by G C Hare. South front has 4 pointed buttresses with 3 tripartite square-headed windows with trip hoods and 2 tripartite pointed windows to the east. East end has stone coped gable with finial cross. Three-light pointed east window and small 2-part square-headed window to north. North front has 6 pointed buttresses, single pointed door and four 2-part square-headed windows. Inside tower 2 bay north and south brick arcades filled with C19 glass. C20 internal fittings.

Listing NGR: SK9085965464

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192274
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04388/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin W. Symons. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].