This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD KING'S HEAD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD KING'S HEAD

List entry Number: 1062023

Location

THE OLD KING'S HEAD, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kirton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Apr-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 192093

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 33 NW KIRTON HIGH STREET (south east side)

9/41 The Old King's Head (Formerly listed as 19.11.51 Kings Head Hotel)

G.V. II

Former public house, now house. Early C16, 1599, cross wing 1661, major alterations in Fen Artisan Mannerist style, with C19 and C20 alterations. Red brick in English bond, ashlar dressings and stucco, with pantile roof over thatch. Raised brick coped gables with corbelled out kneelers, single axial triple stack with diagonally set shafts with dentillated tops. T-plan, of hall block with gabled cross wing of 1599. Originally Lobby entry. 2 storey with garret, 5 bay front, the right hand bay advanced and gabled. Ashlar plinth. Single brick and stucco bands, dogtooth eaves course raised to a dentillated course early C20. Rusticated brick quoins. Off-centre panelled double doors with plain overlight in added square porch with flat roof. To left 2 margin light sashes and to right a similar window, all with rusticated brick reveals and cambered heads. Original door now blocked also has rusticated reveals and a pedimented brick head, containing an ashlar panel carved with a lion rampant. To first floor are 2 margin light sashes flanked by shorter brick pilasters. To the right the moulded head only of a 4 light C16 brick mullioned window. In the gable an ashlar datestone 1599 with initials TW, and in the base of the principal stack a further datestone of 1661 and initials IW. To left gable are single blocked windows to each floor with brick surrounds, segmental heads and stepped up string courses. Interior retains C16 roll moulded bressumer to hall inglenook and chamfered beam with pyramid stops. End room has cyma moulded beam with ogee stops. Trapped purl in pegged oak roof, with timber and reed partitions.

Listing NGR: TF3054038472

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 30540 38472

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062023 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2018 at 04:35:16.

End of official listing