This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SOUTH COTTAGE, VILLAGE HALL AND CHURCH VIEW COTTAGE AND GARDEN WALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SOUTH COTTAGE, VILLAGE HALL AND CHURCH VIEW COTTAGE AND GARDEN WALL

List entry Number: 1062043

Location

SOUTH COTTAGE, VILLAGE HALL AND CHURCH VIEW COTTAGE AND GARDEN WALL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Algarkirk

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Apr-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 192055

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 23 NE ALGARKIRK CHURCH ROAD (west side)

8/2 South Cottage, Village Hall and Church View Cottage and garden wall (Formerly listed as School) 26.1.67 II

Formerly schoolmasters' houses and school, now 2 cottages and Village Hall, and garden walls. By Sir G. G. Scott, patron Rev. B. Beridge, 1856. Squared, coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings, Westmoreland slate roof with stone coped gables, moulded kneelers. 2 shaped ridge stacks. E-plan, school in centre flanked by cottages. Single storey, 9 bay front, with chamfered plinth, centre bay is an advanced and gabled porch with spired bellcote. The end 2 bays have one bay advanced and gabled with upper floors, the others set back with partly external gable stack. A pair of lancets in porch, which contains single doorways to each side with Caernarvon arched heads and trefoils with moulded hoods. Shields over door, one dated 1856. Flanked by 2 pairs of stepped trefoiled lancets, moulded octagonal shafts and chamfered over arches. Beyond are 2 light windows with Caernarvon arched heads, moulded octagonal centre shafts and chamfered rectangular surrounds. To the upper floors in the end gables are pairs of similar windows with trilobe heads, pointed over arches with rosettes in tympana. The recessed end bays have pent lead roofed porches, with timber bases, arches and lattice work. To first floor a 2 light window with moulded mullion and flat head. In front attached to the cottages are low rubble garden walls with moulded ashlar copings, terminating at each end in low coped piers.

Listing NGR: TF2911235167

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 29112 35167

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062043 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2018 at 12:07:26.

End of official listing