Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of ROCHFORD TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062088.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 07:00:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Boston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 35096 44496



12/32 Rochford Tower 26.1.67 G.V. I

Tower. c.1460 with minor C17 alterations and C19 partial restoration. Red brick in English bond with ashlar dressings. Roof now vanished. The tower was attached to a contemporary hall block, demolished 1807. 3 storey with ground floor undercroft, vaulted in brick. Single bay. Roll moulding to base with added plinth. Embattled parapet with shaped brick coping, trefoil headed dummy machicolations. Corbelled out octagonal corner turrets with roll moulding to base and small battlements. On the west front a small opening light to undercroft. To main first floor a large segmental headed window opening with moulded ashlar surround and chamfered cill, now containing C17 wooden cross mullioned 3 light window. To second and third floors are single blank openings with chamfered brick reveals and 4 centred arched heads. On the south side a single opening with brick arched head to second floor. On the right hand side an octagonal stair turret with narrow vertical lights and battlemented parapet. To the top stage a corbelled out brick chimney with roll mouldings, chamfers and dentils to the corbel. On the east side a double chamfered shallow 4 centred doorway to undercroft and a small pointed headed light. To first floor a large window as the west side. On the north side a 4 centred arched doorway to undercroft and above a blocked doorway to vanished hall block. The toothing in scars of the adjoining walls of this 2 storey block can be seen. To second floor a small 4 centred brick arched opening. Interior. Brick vaulted undercroft contains 3 pointed headed niches. Stone newel stair in turret. Wall painting on first floor now vanished, on plaster; 4 centred brick arched fireplaces. Straight doorway through to now vanished connecting building. Series of blocked holes in interior at high level, perhaps indicating previous use as dovecote. On the north side a C18 lead pipe and spout with iron handle and timber support. A topographical print, dated 1811, published by W. Clarke, from a drawing by W. Brand, shows the attached hall block running north, with crow stepped gables and 3 light 4 centred arched window. The property was granted to the Abbot and Church of Westminster by Henry VII in 1504, and held by the Rochford family. Source: Thompson, History of Boston. Other similar towers exist at Tower on the Moor, Woodhall Spa, Hussey Tower, Boston. Source: Lincs. History and Archaeology Vol, 14, 1979.

Listing NGR: TF3507944510


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Thompson, , History of Boston
'Lincolnshire History and Archaeology' in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, , Vol. 14, (1979)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00518/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].