NUMBER 4 (BROWNES HOSPITAL) CHAPEL AND HALL. ALL OTHER BUILDINGS AT BROWNE'S HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1062247

Date first listed: 22-May-1954

Statutory Address: NUMBER 4 (BROWNES HOSPITAL) CHAPEL AND HALL. ALL OTHER BUILDINGS AT BROWNE'S HOSPITAL, BROAD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 4 (BROWNES HOSPITAL) CHAPEL AND HALL. ALL OTHER BUILDINGS AT BROWNE'S HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062247 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 06:26:50.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBER 4 (BROWNES HOSPITAL) CHAPEL AND HALL. ALL OTHER BUILDINGS AT BROWNE'S HOSPITAL, BROAD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Stamford

National Grid Reference: TF 02957 07286

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1671 BROAD STREET (North Side) No 4 (Brown's Hospital) 22.5.54. Chapel and Hall. - All the other buildings at Brown's Hospital. TF 0207 1/54 II GV 2. Almshouses of circa 1480, partly rebuilt 1870 by J Fowler. Elevation to street is of C15 chapel, with stone-stepped entrance to porch at west end and hall on lst floor. 2 storeys, coursed rubble with stone dressings. 4 bays divided by small buttresses. Each bay has a ground floor window of one light, and lst floor window of 2 lights, in a 4-centred arch with mullions, transoms and cusping. Moulded labels to all windows. The 2 most easterly windows are of 3 and 4 lights, with a 2nd transom and segmental arches. The most easterly contains good contemporary glass. A modern extension beyond the east end. The interior has completely rebuilt almshouses facing into a small court, all of late C19 1870 date, and in the 'Gothic' manner.

No 1, Railings and terrce to No 1, No 2, Wall and gate to No 2, Nos 3, 4, Warden's House to No 4 and Nos 5 +to 11 (consec) form a group.

Listing NGR: TF0295707286

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 193495

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing