This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1062325



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: South Witham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193381

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SOUTH WITHAM CHURCH STREET SK 91 NW (east side) 9/140 Church of St.John the Baptist 20.9.66 G.V. I Parish church. Late C12, early C13, C14, C15, C16, 1902 restoration. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings, ashlar, Collyweston slate roof with stone coped gables. Nave with western bellcote, aisles, transepts, chancel. Early C13 ashlar west end with stepped plinth, corner buttresses and taller central buttress supporting gabled twin opening bellcote, having central gabled pilaster with roll moulded angles, round headed bell openings and blank pointed arcades to the corners and sides. North aisle is squared rubble, has single chamfered segmental headed doorway flanked by single C14 style windows of 1902 restoration. C15 north transept has large 4 light north window, cusped ogee heads and embattled panel tracery, and to the east wall a similar 3 light window. In the north wall of the chancel a blocked opening and a C14 style 2 light window in rectangular surround and cusped ogee heads. Early C15 chancel east window of 4 cusped lights with panel tracery. In the south wall are 2 windows matching that to the north. In the south transept west wall, a 3 light C14 window, cusped ogee heads, rectangular hooded surround and to left an oval wall plaque dated 1807. In the south wall a further 3 light window with reticulated tracery and pointed surround. The south aisle wall, a C14 door with concave chamfered pointed surround containing human and animal heads, and moulded hood with ballflowers and human head stops. To the left a C14 style 2 light window. Interior. 3 bay late C12 north arcade having single chamfered round arches with chamfered imposts and waterleaf capitals to the circular piers. The west respond of the south arcade is early C13, circular and with hob nail decoration, otherwise it is of mid C13 with octagonal piers and moulded capitals, double chamfered pointed arches. The eastern respond has fine naturalistic foliage. In the south transept is the 4 centred arched doorway to the rood loft and a C14 ogee headed piscina and statue bracket. In the north transept a further ogee piscina and an aumbry. Also preserved in the transepts the end trusses of the early roofs. The chancel arch is a recut C13 double chamfered arch with octagonal imposts and capitals. In the chancel north wall a blocked C16 hollow chamfered cambered headed doorway and an aumbry. In the south wall a C13 trefoil headed piscina. Fittings are all C19 apart from C17 octagonal font having depressed fleur de lys to the sides of the bowl. Monuments. At the west end of the nave a mid C14 stone coffin lid with a cross fleury from which sprouts a man's head beneath a trefoil arch. In the north transept a small recessed rectangular moulded panel with cornice contains a brass to Francis Harrington, d.1577, also a small brass plaque to Elizabeth Harrington, d.1597, with a shield of arms. In the west wall a fine limestone wall monument to members of the Michel family c.1673, comprising recessed rectangular inscription panel having moulded architrave containing arabesques surmounted by a segmental pediment with escutcheon and beneath a cartouche of arms. In the north aisle a white marble wall plaque, classical aedicule, with side scrolls and broken segmental pediment with arms to Elizabeth Halford, d.l694. In the south transept a limestone wall plaque to Catherine Wimberley, d.1716, having double semi-circular headed inscription panels with cherubs, in composite pilastered surround with broken pediment, cartouche of arms and flaming urns.

Listing NGR: SK9271619407

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 92718 19409


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062325 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 02:44:07.

End of official listing