OLYMPIA SOCIAL CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1062584
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
OLYMPIA SOCIAL CLUB, WEST DERBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLYMPIA SOCIAL CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062584 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jun-2019 at 17:44:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLYMPIA SOCIAL CLUB, WEST DERBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 36450 91364

Details

SJ 3691 WEST DERBY ROAD L6

24/1351 Olympia Social Club (formerly listed as the 14.3.75. Locarno)

- II*

Music hall, now bingo hall. 1903. Frank Matcham. Brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Curved symmetrical facade of 4 storeys and 15 bays. Plastered ground floor, pilasters, top entablature and high parapet. Central 5 bays have C20 entrances and canopy. Flanking 5 bays have shop windows flanked by doors. End 2 bays have round-headed entrances. 1st and 2nd floors have laced windows in architraves with panels between floors. 3-bay centre has 1st floor windows and are hidden by boarding (1984); 2nd floor loggia with distyle Ionic colonnade in antis on balustraded balcony. 3rd to 5th and 11th to 13th bays have 3rd floor windows in flat shouldered architraves with pediments, other bays have round windows. Low stone parapet over end bays, parapet over 3rd to 13th bays has stucco panels with lettering "MECCA" and "LOCARNO" flanking traceried lunette with flanking pilasters and ramped parapets, truncated pyramidal roof. Interior has rich decoration. Proscenium arch is flat, with blind arcading; stage removed. Flanking bowed boxes with Moorish ogee arches and onion half-domes. Splayed side walls have panels on 2 levels with cusped blind arches and Moorish decoration; 2 panels to lower level, 3 above, with elephant's heads to top. 3 circles with Moorish panelling. Fairly plain panelled ceiling. A well preserved example of the work of the foremost Edwardian theatre architect.

Listing NGR: SJ3645091364

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359733
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].