CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1062701
Date first listed:
30-Oct-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062701.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:48:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Baston
National Grid Reference:
TF 11377 13982

Details

TF 11 SW BASTON CHURCH STREET (north side)

6/17 Church of St. John 30.10.68 the Baptist

G.V. I

Parish church. Early C13, c.1403, C15, C16, chancel rebuilt c.1860. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar, lead and Collyweston slates. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch. 3 stage ashlar C15 tower, having clasping buttresses, chamfered string courses, embattled parapet with angle pinnacles. In the belfry stage are 2 tiered 4 centred arched belfry lights in hollow chamfered surrounds. The west wall has a 3 light panel traceried window with above a large clock. To the side walls on the first floor are single 2 light windows. C15 north aisle with 5 three light windows, single at the ends and 3 at the sides, all having cusped ogee heads and 4 centred surrounds. C16 clerestory of 4 paired lights in chamfered surrounds, and plain parapet. C19 chancel in squared limestone with Collyweston slate roof. 2 light side windows and to the east a 3 light window. To the south is a priest's door and a single light window. The C14 coursed limestone rubble south aisle has a fleuron frieze to the parapet and a C15 3 light panel traceried east window. In the south side are 2 C19 3 light windows with beyond a further 3 light window having cusped ogee heads to the lights. Beside it are 2 blank panels with trilobed heads, part of a frieze which also survives on the west wall. Also in the west is a plinth with quatrefoils, a 3 light early C15 window with above a sunk quatrefoil and to the gable a gabled single bellcote. This work may belong to c.1403 when a chapel to St. Mary was created. c.1403 gabled south porch having wave moulded and pointed outer arch with above an elaborate trefoil headed niche with side pinnacles and crocketed ogee canopy. C18 6 panelled double doors match the inner 4 panelled door, which is set in a continuously moulded and pointed surround. Interior. 4 bay C13 double chamfered nave arcades with octagonal piers and responds, moulded capitals. Tall C15 tower arch with moulded head, embattled octagonal capitals and side shafts with bell moulded bases. In the south aisle a C15 cusped headed piscina and a C15 cambered tie beam roof with moulded principals matching that to the nave. Chancel arch is early C13 with roll moulded and chamfered head and annular capitals with hob nailing. Fittings are all C19 and C20, except for the C13 octagonal plain tub font on square base. Fine C14 oak iron bound churchwardens' chest with curved feet.

Listing NGR: TF1137813983

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
194400
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/07345/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Cllr John Byford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].