Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062747.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 02:08:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Kesteven (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/06/2017

TF 0633-0733 2/99

FOLKINGHAM MARKET PLACE (north side) No 37, The Greyhound

(Formerly listed as Greyhound Antique Shop, WEST STREET, previously listed as Greyhound Hotel)


GV II* Coaching Inn with Assize Court and Assembly room, now apartments. c.1650, c.1730, 1788-9, early and late C19, C20.

Limestone rubble and ashlar, red brick with ashlar dressings. Plain tile and pantile roofs with stone coped gables, gable stacks, three ridge stacks on south front and tall C20 lateral stack to rear. U-plan. Three storey, seven bay south front of 1788-90 with ashlar plinth with two small two-light mullion basement windows to right. Ashlar first and second floor bands, moulded eaves cornice with brick parapet above. Ashlar quoins including a two storey vertical line of quoins dividing the fifth and sixth bays from the left and defining the position of the single storey Assize Court and Assembly Room inside. Central carriage archway with basket arch and moulded ashlar surround with scrolled keystone. Doorway inserted in late C19 with central, double, partially glazed doors flanked by Doric pilasters which are carried up into the overlight above, and are flanked by single narrow glazing bar sashes. Doorway flanked by two glazing bar sashes on each side with serpentine lintels and raised keystones. Window above carriage arch with semi-circular head, scrolled ashlar keystone and glazing bars with radiating spokes. Window flanked by two glazing bar sashes on each side, all with serpentine lintels and raised keystones. Venetian window breaks through first floor band in the last two bays to the right, with a moulded ashlar architrave, scrolled keystone over semi-circular central light and glazing bar sashes. Seven smaller glazing bar sashes above, all with serpentine lintels and raised keystones.

Painted sundial on brick parapet over central bay. Two low C17 wings to rear with lower ranges attached to north. Brick two storey, three bay late C18 north side of main south range with broad ashlar first floor band and decorative eaves. Central doorway with double partially glazed doors and flanked by single glazing bar sashes; all three openings with wedge lintels. Semi-circular headed window above.

West side of C17 north-east range remodelled in late C18 with canted bay window to right with fixed glazing bars, a two-light casement to left with a four-light fixed window with transom beyond, both the latter with wedge lintels and raised ashlar keystones. Glazing bar sash to right with wooden lintel. Dummy oval garret window in north gable with ashlar, keyed architrave. Lower range to north with two-light casement with wedge lintel and raised ashlar keystone.

C17 east side of north-west range remodelled in late C18 with two storeys and garret and three bay front with decorated eaves and masonry break between first and second bays to right. Doorway to left with damaged ashlar surround, stone lintel and glazing bar door. Glazing bar sash to right with ashlar wedge lintel and raised keystone. Doorway beyond with wooden lintel, ashlar wedge lintel with raised keystone above, and panelled door.

Lower single storey C17 range with attic, attached to north, remodelled in C18 with decorated brick eaves and three bays. Doorway to left with head askew, wooden lintel and panelled door. Canted bay window to right with fixed glazing bars and glazing bar sash beyond with wooden lintel. Two flat headed dormers above with two-light casements.

Pine five flight return staircase of c.1730 with two turned banisters to each tread, with square knops, carved tread ends and moulded handrail sweeping upwards to newels. Fielded panelled dadoes on staircase walls. Late C17 oak five flight return staircase with simply moulded, turned banisters and broad, heavy moulded handrail.

Assize Court and Assembly Room with delicately moulded ornate cornice; two oval plaques depicting Justice and Mercy; plain grey marble fireplace with beaded, moulded bands and fielded panelled dado.

Parlour with ornate late C18 fireplace with flanking fluted columns, entablature and plaque containing lyre and leaves; moulded cornice with bands of egg and dart.

Mid C17 stone fireplace in north-west range with simply moulded surround with very flat profile. Large C17 inglenook fireplace in room to north with chamfered bressumer. Early C18 cupboard above doorway. Large early C18 fireplace in north-west range with stone segmental head.

Large chamfered beams and staggered purlin roofs in C17 ranges.

Listing NGR: TF0719833696


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06602/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Patrick Banister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].