WILLOUGHBY MEMORIAL LIBRARY AND ART GALLERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1062848
Date first listed:
06-May-1956
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
WILLOUGHBY MEMORIAL LIBRARY AND ART GALLERY, BOURNE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WILLOUGHBY MEMORIAL LIBRARY AND ART GALLERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062848 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 04:35:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
WILLOUGHBY MEMORIAL LIBRARY AND ART GALLERY, BOURNE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Corby Glen
National Grid Reference:
SK 99975 24876

Details

CORBY GLEN BOURNE ROAD SK 9824-9924 (north side)

14/74 Willoughby Memorial Library and Art 6.5.56 Gallery (formerly listed as Old School)

I

Incorrectly shown on OS map as School. Former school, now Library and Art Gallery. Founded 1669, constructed 1673, extended 1691, with minor C18 alterations, restored in 1965. Ashlar and squared limestone rubble. Steeply pitched sprocketed hipped Collyweston slate roof with lead dressings and finials. Central 4 shafted ashlar ridge stack with moulded base and cornices. Rectangular schoolroom with later master's house to rear right. Single storey with attics and basement, 5 bay front. Rusticated quoins, chamfered plinth, pulvinated frieze, moulded eaves. On the frieze the inscription "CAROLUS READ GENEROSUS HANC SCHOLAM DIS... GNATAM FUNAVIT ANNO DOMINI 1673" Projecting 2 storey pedimented porch dated 1691 and inscribed with Robert Kirke and Hugh Wade, Wardens. First floor band, pulvinated frieze. Central panelled double doors in eared surround and keyblock, with pulvinated frieze supporting a broken triangular pediment containing a shield of arms. To first floor, lighting the parvise, a keyed oculus and in the pediment a circular window. To the right hand side at basement level is a single 3 light mullioned window. The porch is flanked by pairs of cross mullioned leaded casements with moulded architraves. The 2 light leaded casement dormers have hipped roofs and lead cheeks. The rear has a coved cornice and doorway with plain chamfered surround and cornice, inscribed on the lintel "Incredere ut proficias". To right are 2 cross mullioned windows and to left a C18 glazing bar sash in plain ashlar surround with raised keyblock. The added rear wing is of coursed square rubble with ashlar quoins, Collyweston slate roof, raised stone coped gable and axial ashlar stack. The interior retains a half glazed doorway to the original school room with pulvinated frieze and cornice in moulded architrave. The girders are moulded with large shield plaque stops. The cellar has a large fireplace with chamfered arched head and deeply chamfered beams. On the first floor the octagonal ashlar stack has 2 chamfered and stopped fireplace surrounds. The schoolmaster's accommodation has a spiral staircase and simply chamfered beams. Charles Read of Folkingham left a sum of money for the establishment of free grammar schools at Corby and Tuxford in Nottinghamshire. Restored in 1965 by the Earl of Ancater and turned into a Library and Art Gallery as a memorial to his only son, Timothy, who was drowned at sea. Source: Steel, 1979.

Listing NGR: SK9997524876

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
194048
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01600/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H Schofield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].