Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062909.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-May-2021 at 02:15:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Kesteven (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 85528 40262


SK 8440-8540 ALLINGTON MANOR LANE (north side)

11/7 Church of the Holy Trinitv 20.9.66 G.V. II*

Parish Church, c.1150, C13, C15, C16, late C18, c.1914. Coursed ironstone and limestone rubble, limestone ashlar, red brick with slate, plain tile and lead roofs. Bell turret, nave with north aisle, south porch, rectangular chancel with north vestry. Early C13 west front with plinth, flanked by angle buttresses of 3 stages with central buttress of 5 stages. Moulded string course runs beneath bell turret of 2 round headed openings beneath a coped gable. Gables flanking turret have fragmentary C12 corbelling on north and south returns. C14 north aisle with red brick band of c.1914 running along the top with C14 coping re-set above. Damaged finial on west corner. Single early C20 pointed window with 2 cusped lights and continuous mullion. Single C15 window to east with 2 lights with trefoil heads under flattened triangular head. Beyond is a C20 window with round head, 2 cusped lights and continuous mullion. C20 brick chimney, C15 ironstone clerestorey with quoins and 2 C15 rectangular windows each of 2 trefoiled lights and with hood moulds. Limestone moulded eaves and 2 large gargoyles with coped parapet above. North vestry of c.1914 re-using C15 fragments, of limestone and ironstone, with moulded eaves and battlements and east window of 3 cusped and pointed lights. Chancel of late C18 brick with ashlar quoins and decorated eaves with reset and blocked early C13 lancet. East end of coursed limestone with window of 1918 of 3 lights with reticulated tracery and hood mould. Coped gable above with finial. Southside has coursed limestone plinth with late C18 red brick with various windows re-set. To the east, a C13 lancet with small head at apex, small C13 pointed, chamfered doorway and C12 round headed window to the west of that. Nave has higher limestone and ironstone plinth with C18 brick above with C16 oval ashlar window re-set and C13 2 light window with lozenge above, re-set beyond. Further west is an early C14 re-set window of 3 lights with reticulated tracery. Moulded eaves with large gargoyle and ashlar parapet above. C15 ironstone porch with limestone bands and moulded plinth. Small, irregular shaped opening in east wall. Diagonal buttresses of 2 stages. Rectangular headed south doorway with 4 centred arch beneath, heavy hood mould and plain moulded jambs. Above, a small long opening with trefoiled head, pronounced moulded string course following the line of the gable, battlements, with plain gable rising above. Flanked by ornate pinnacles and central ornate finial against the gable. Benches flank porch interior and a corbel in east wall. C12 round headed doorway with simple roll mouldings, single columnar jambs with scalloped capitals and moulded abaci carved with pairs of tiny heads. Above porch roof is a gargoyle. Single light C20 rectangular window to the west of porch with cusping, with a C20 2 light rectangular window below with cusping and hood mould. Interior mid C12 north arcade of 4 bays with round piers and columnar responds with plain moulded capitals. Double chamfered round arches with chipstar decoration and small rosettes in spandrels. Round chancel arch of c.1914 with plain rectangular jambs. C19 wood ceiling in nave, C20 roof in chancel. C20 round headed doorway to north vestry. Rectangular doorway in south wall. C18 altar table. Highly carved C17 chair. C17 pulpit of 2 decorated panels with daisyheads and geometrical patterning. Remnant of plain C17 wainscotting on south wall by pulpit. Early C20 lectern incorporates panel from C15 screen with ornate finial and tracery. Early C20 pews. C17 gallery, heavily restored in C20 with geometrical and foliage patterns and daisyheads. Late C15 octagonal font with panels containing heads, flowers and a shield on an octagonal support with deeply cut foliage in small panels. 2 fragments near font, one of C12 chevron, the other of C11 plaited cable. South side of chancel has ornate marble monument to Thomas and Car. Williamson, 1690 with similar one on north side to Thomas Williamson 1688. Southside has plaque of 1656 to Robert Clarke, and on north side ornate black and white monument to Lady Welby, died 1826. To west of it an almost illegible grey marble monument with gold paint and cherub, dated 1669. Above the vestry door is a large C19 coat of arms of Coade stone. 2 monuments on north side of nave, to the east of grey and white marble, to Mary Williamson, died 1763, to to the west of black and white marble to Sir William Earl Welby, died 1815. Poet George Crabbe was rector here from 1790-1814.

Listing NGR: SK8552840262


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06493/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].