CHURCH OF ST. CLEMENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1062981

Date first listed: 31-May-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. CLEMENT, HUTTOFT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. CLEMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062981 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 09:16:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. CLEMENT, HUTTOFT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Mablethorpe and Sutton

National Grid Reference: TF 52114 80903

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 48 SW MABLETHORPE AND SUTTON HUTTOFT ROAD Sutton-on-Sea Church of 6/16 St. Clement 31.5.66 II Parish church. 1818-19, 1860, 1907 additions. Squared greenstone rubble, red brick, slate roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel, north chamber and sextons hut, vestry. 2 stage west tower has plinth, dentillated eaves course and gabled roof. The pointed west window has wooden tracery and above a stone panel. inscribed "I S Cooke Ch.Wdn 1819". The belfry stage has pointed paired louvred lights in 4 directions. The lower parts of the nave are in stone, the upper parts in brick, also with dentillated eaves course. On the north side is a double gabled c.1860 sexton's hut with 2 pointed leaded lights. In the north wall of the nave are 2 semi-circular headed lights with wooden tracery. The north chamber, also of 1860 with dentillated eaves has 2 pointed lights, and north double doors with Gothic traceried fanlight. On the east side is a single window with stone Y tracery and a further pointed light. The 1860 chancel has 2 lights on the north side and one to the south, and in the east wall a 3 light window with stone intersecting tracery. C20 vestry to the south, and in the south wall of the nave 2 further semi-circular headed windows and a matching double door. To the west of the door a reused stone has a carved medieval pinnacle. Interior. Double chamfered chancel arch with roll moulded imposts. Sanctuary arch is similar. At the west end a panelled timber gallery with fluted pier. The C14 octagonal font has cusped traceried panels to the sides and a moulded base. All fittings are C20, apart from turned baluster altar rails now across the chancel. The church was rebuilt on a new site after the old church was destroyed by the sea.

Listing NGR: TF5211480903

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195621

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing