CHURCH OF ST. OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1062988

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. OSWALD, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062988 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 10:16:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. OSWALD, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Strubby with Woodthorpe

National Grid Reference: TF 45274 82576

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 48 SE STRUBBY WITH WOODTHORPE CHURCH LANE (east side) 5/36 Church of 9.3.67 St. Oswald G.V. II* Parish church. c.1300, C15, 1857 by Maughan and Fowler with chancel of 1874 by Ewan Christian. Red brick and banded greenstone, ashlar dressings, with plain and decorative tiled roofs. Nave with western bellcote, south aisle and porch, chancel, vestry. All windows have cusped ogee heads, panel tracery and chamfered surrounds with hoods. In the west wall of the south aisle is a 2 light window and in the nave one of 3 lights. Openwork timber bellcote with facetted copper spirelet. In the north wall are 4 two light windows and in the gabled vestry a lancet. The east chancel window is 3 lights with reticulated tracery. In the south wall is a 2 light window and a further c.1300 2 light window with cinquefoil in the east wall of the south aisle. In the aisle south wall are 3 three light windows with triangular heads. The gabled south porch has a pointed outer arch and a continuously moulded and hooded inner doorway. Interior. The C15 4 bay south arcade has octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. The chancel arch is C19. All fittings are C19 but the octagonal font is C15 with panels of trqacery patterns. Monuments. In the chancel is an early C14 headless effigy of a civilian, under a nodding ogee arch. In the nave is a small tablet to William Ballett d.1648 aged 99, of Woodthorpe Hall. He and his 2 wives are depicted in Elizabethan dress, kneeling opposite each other across a prayer desk. Above the parents against the back wall of the tablet are the figures of his children.

Listing NGR: TF4527482576

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195640

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing