ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1062997
Date first listed:
14-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
ALMSHOUSES, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062997 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 04:52:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
ALMSHOUSES, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Hemingby
National Grid Reference:
TF 23718 74461

Details

TF 27 SW HEMINGBY MAIN STREET (west side)

1/5 Almshouses 14.9.66 G.V. II

5 almshouses. 1727, C20. Red brick. Pantile roof with stone coped gables and kneelers, 2 axial ridge stacks, single ridge stack. 2 storeys, 11 bay front with first floor brick band. Central doorway flanked by single windows, with a doorway beyond on each side and 2 windows beyond on each side and a single doorway beyond on each side. All the doorways with segmental heads and panelled door, the left hand doorway in a small, gabled C20 porch with a glazed door. All the ground floor windows with segmental heads and C20 cross mullion casements. 6 two light casements above. Ashlar plaque above central doorway inscribed: "The Hospital and School were erected in the year 1747 by Jane Dymoke Widow of the Hon. Charles Dymoke of Scrivelsby Esq Champion of England and endowed by her will and a yearly salary to a School Master and Mistress for teaching all the poor children in the Parish of Hemingby to read write and work and with competent provision of clothing for six of the said children and for putting some of them Apprentices and also yearly allowance for four poor widows Inhabitants of the County of Lincolnshire is appointed in her will".

Listing NGR: TF2371874461

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195662
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08422/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger H Mockford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].