CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1062998

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, GRAVEL PIT LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062998 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 17:42:06.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, GRAVEL PIT LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: High Toynton

National Grid Reference: TF 28357 69883

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 26 NE HIGH TOYNTON GRAVEL PIT LANE (east side)

4/7 Church of St.John 14.9.66 the Baptist G.V. II Parish church. 1872 by Ewan Christian, re-using some mid C12 fragments. Green sandstone rubble blocks, limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with decorative red ridge tiles and stone coped gables with cross finials. Nave with south-west porch tower, chancel with vestry. Plinth runs round entire church. West window with plate lancets with cusped oculus and hood mould. North side of nave with 2 single lancets to right, and single window to left with 2 plate lancets and quatrefoil. West side of vestry with doorway with Caernarvon head and plank door. Single lancet in north side of vestry. East end of chancel with 3 lancets, the central lancet being taller, continuous hood mould and label stops. South side of chancel with single lancet. South side of nave with single plate window to right with 2 lancets and quatrefoil. Single lancet to left. South-west tower beyond with single lancets in east and west sides. South side with pointed doorway with continuous chamfered surround, hood mould, label stops and plank door. Single slit light above. Octagonal upper storey with broaches, 8 small lancets, pyramidal roof with finial and weathervane. Porch interior with C19 south doorway with pointed moulded head; angled, chamfered jambs with triangular stops and plank door. A segmental arch of C12 chevron re-set above. A similar smaller section of chevron set above outer doorway in porch interior. Fragments of a C19 cross head and C14 gabled buttress set-off on window ledges. Interior with C19 pointed, double chamfered chancel arch with corbelled inner order with turned capitals and abaci. Pointed north vestry door with continuous chamfered surround and plank door. Early C18 altar-chest with fielded panelled sides. C19 altar rail, lectern, pulpit and ornate stone reredos with Caernarvon headed panels containing the Lord's Prayer and the Ten Commandments, a roundel with the Lamb of God, and small square plaques with various motifs. C20 font and pews. 4 stone monuments with urns and aprons of various designs, to Thomas Ball, died 1805; Thomas Ball, died 1819: Thomas Ball, died 1835 and John Ball, died 1845. C16 German roundel of stained glass incorporated into C19 stained glass in north window of nave.

Listing NGR: TF2835769883

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195664

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing