Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of LOCKSLEY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063054 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 10:51:08.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
North Somercotes
National Grid Reference:
TF 43424 95597


NORTH SOMERCOTES WARREN LANE TF 49 NW (south side) 2/45 Locksley Hall G.V. II

House. C16, 1921-5. Red brick with ashlar dressings, some render, some applied timber framing. Hipped concrete tiled roof behind ashlar dressed brick parapets with ball finials on corners. Single ridge stack, single projecting stack with 2 angle shafts. 2 storey, 4 bay south front of 1921-5 with projecting left hand bay and 2 right hand bays set back. Doorway to left with four centred head with upper foliate decoration, moulded jambs and heavy plank door. Rectangular bay window to left with 3 light mullion window and single lights on return walls. Projecting east wall to right of doorway with 3 light mullion window with moulded string course above. Doorway with four centred head and plank door to right, in south wall, with mullion window with 4 triangular headed lights beyond. Large plaque above doorway with lighthome and inscribed 1500, 1925. Single light window above with triangular head. 3 light cross mullion window to left. Projecting east wall to right of doorway with 3 light mullion window with hood mould. 2 light window above doorway to right with moulded cornice. Mullion window to right with 6 triangular headed lights. East side with plinth and single triangular headed light to left with hood mould and moulded string course. 5 light mullion window to right with central flat headed light flanked by 2 triangular headed lights on each side, and hood mould. Timber framing above. Single light triangular headed window to left with hood mould. 3 light mullion window with hood mould with carved plaque above. C16 west side with plinth with chimney breast to right and C20 mullion window to left with 3 triangular headed lights and hood mould. Moulded string course and applied timber framing above. Mullion window to left with 3 triangular headed lights and hood mould. North front of 4 bays with 2 C16 bays to right, projecting C20 staircase bay to left with C20 bay set back beyond. Staircase bay with 3 light cross mullion window with hood mould, slit light above with parapet rising to segmental headed pediment. Return walls of staircase bay with pilaster buttresses. 2 bays to right with plinth. 3 light C20 mullion window to left with hood mould with single light window beyond with hood mould. Single light window to left of staircase bay with triangular head and hood mould. 4 light mullion window with hood mould above to right. Single light window with triangular head and hood mould above to left. C16 morning room with original C18 fielded panelling with delicate, dentillated cornice, broad, deep fireplace with C20 red brick back and early C20 richly carved mahogany bressummer. C16 chamfered beam runs across room with finely carved stops. Window to east with 3 panels of C16 stained glass, 2 of knights, one of the Last Supper. Dining room of 1921-5 with C17 fielded panels, 2 richly carved beams, C20 fireplace re-using C13 panels with crudely carved figures. Stained glass panels in west window including C16 panel of St. Martin, a bishop and marriage scene; and 2 C19 shields. Hall with bell chamber above. Stone fireplace in style of Eric Gill with figures ploughing, sowing and harvesting, with angels. Ornately carved beams and staircase, including carved figures of mermaids, a ship and a squirrel with acorns. Richly carved cornice with birds, flowers and fruit. Panelling includes 3 panels with shields dated 1584. Staircase window with 6 lights full of fragments of medieval glass including a C14 black and yellow canopy, C15 head of bishop, 3 nimbed boys, woman with apple of c.1430, 2 French C15 angels with scrolls; various figures from Chertsey Abbey including a youth in orange robe and head of girl; and a C14 shield from Cantley Church in Norfolk. Small hall window with various C14 quarries, mostly in grisaille. Ornate cross beamed hall ceiling with 2 half bell shaped embedded in cornice on each side. North window of main bedroom with a number of C14, C15, C16 and C17 heads, and 2 pieces of grisaille. Bedroom with ornately carved doorcase, beams and cornice. 2 other bedrooms, small lobby and bathroom, all with richly carved cornices, panelling and fragments of medieval and renaissance stained glass re-set in windows. Alfred, Lord Tennyson, stayed at Locksley Hall as a child and again, later in his life. He wrote much of his early poetry here and commemorated the Hall in his poems: 'Locksley Hall' and "Locksley Hall Sixty Years Afterwards'. Source: Christopher Woodforde. 'The Locksley Hall Collection of Stained and Painted Glass'. Privately printed. 1932.

Listing NGR: TF4342495597


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Woodforde, C, The Locksley Hall Collection of Stained and Painted Glass, (1932)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10483/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].