Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GERMAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063064.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:02:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 22768 79090


RANBY CHURCH LANE TF 27 NW (south side) 6/35 Church of St. German 14.9.66 II

Parish church. C12, C15, rebuilt 1861, by James Fowler, re-using some earlier fragments. Limestone ashlar. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and finials. West tower, nave, chancel with north vestry. Plinth runs round entire church. West tower with narrow 2 stage angle buttresses. West doorway with pointed head, moulded jambs, hood mould and plank doors. Single lancet above. Single, broader lancet on south side. String course above with bell openings on all four sides, each with pointed head, 2 cusped, ogee headed lights, quatrefoil and hood mould. Moulded eaves above with large, ornate gargoyles of pigs and humans. Battlements above with 4 corner pinnacles. North side of nave with 2 stage buttress to west and single pointed window with 2 cusped, ogee headed lights, quatrefoil, hood mould and ornate label stops. Tall chimney to east. Projecting vestry to east with fragments of three and a half C15 shallow pointed heads of mullion window embedded in wall. Pointed north window with 2 pointed cusped lights and oculus, hood mould and label stops. North side of chancel with single cusped, pointed light, hood mould and head label stops. East end with 2 stage angle buttresses and moulded string course rising to run beneath pointed window with 3 pointed cusped lights, 3 cusped, curved triangular mouchettes above, hood mould and label stops. South side of chancel with moulded string course and single pointed window with 2 pointed cusped lights, cusped, curved triangular mouchette, hood mould and head label stops. 2 stage buttress to west. Nave with 2 pointed windows, each with 2 cusped ogee headed lights, quatrefoil, hood mould and label stops. 2 stage buttress to west. Early C12 tower arch with round, roll moulded head, voissoired outer order, large chamfered imposts and rectangular jambs. C19 chancel arch with richly moulded head, responds of 3 clustered shafts, the larger central shaft on each side with fillets, stiff leaf capitals, filleted hood mould and head label stops. C19 north vestry doorway with pointed head, chamfered surround in one, hood mould with label stops and plank door. Vestry fireplace with pointed, richly moulded head and trefoiled oculi in spandrels. East window with detached nook shafts and single flanking narrow blind arcade arches with sharply pointed heads and nook shafts. C19 tie beam roof over nave, and wagon roof over chancel. C19 pews with small doors. C19 pulpit, choir stalls, altar rail, chair and octagonal stone font with cusped panels with flower heads and coats of arms. Grey and white marble monument with urn to John Otter, vicar, died 1854. Grey and white marble monument to Mary Denton, died 1837.

Listing NGR: TF2276879090


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05658/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].