ALVINGHAM LOCK AND INVERTED SYPHON TF 365909

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1063080

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1985

Statutory Address: ALVINGHAM LOCK AND INVERTED SYPHON TF 365909, NORTH COCKERINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALVINGHAM LOCK AND INVERTED SYPHON TF 365909
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063080 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:42:22.

Location

Statutory Address: ALVINGHAM LOCK AND INVERTED SYPHON TF 365909, NORTH COCKERINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Alvingham

National Grid Reference: TF3652890893

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALVINGHAM NORTH COCKERINGTON ROAD TF 39 SE (north-east side) 4/8 Alvingham Lock and inverted syphon (formerly 15.4.85 listed under Civil Parish of Keddington) TF 365909 - II

Lock. 1767 by John Grundy. Red brick, limestone ashlar dressings, wood and cast iron. Lock chamber walls of 4 concave brick sections on either side with timber posts, now partially intact and exposed, in between. Posts partly hidden by large ashlar blocks. Tops ashlar coped. Timber beams survive where lock gates originally hung with some of iron fittings still in place. End sections of embankment slope downwards to curved ends, and southern sections include a large basin for waiting barges to moor in, though much of this basin is now silted up, and it too ends in curved embankments. 2 blocked, semi- circular brick drain openings in west side of lock chamber. The river Lud, running north to south, is culverted and passes under the lock by means of an inverted syphon. Navigation abandoned in 1924.

Listing NGR: TF3652890893

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195450

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing