- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- HAINTON HALL, SIXHILLS LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063102 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 02:17:12.
- Statutory Address:
- HAINTON HALL, SIXHILLS LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Lindsey (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 17962 84346
HAINTON SIXHILLS LANE
TF 18 SE
2/20 Hainton Hall
Country house. 1638, 1737, 1809 by Peter Atkinson, 1875 by
William Burn, C20. 1971-2 by James Hemmings, 1985, by Charles
Morns. Red brick with yellow limestone ashlar dressings,
coursed limestone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings. Hipped
slate roofs with 2 tall rendered stacks to rear, and 2 red brick
lateral stacks. West range of 1809, remodelled in 1971-2 when
top floor removed and exterior encased in C18 type red bricks in
c.1970. 2 storey, 7 bay front with 2 bays recessed to left.
Plinth. Large rectangular porch of 1875 to right, with one and a
half Ionic columns on each side of large rectangular overlight
and double plank doors. Single glazing bar sashes on north and
south return walls. Single bays flanking porch project slightly.
3 long glazing bar sashes flank porch. 2 long glazing bar sashes
in recessed bays to left. Glazing bar sash flanked by single
narrow glazing bar sashes above porch. 3 glazing bar sashes to
right, 5 glazing bar sashes to left. All the windows with
moulded ashlar architraves of 1809. Central C20 modillioned
pediment with coat of arms. Broad modillioned cornice and
overhanging eaves. South end with plinth and long glazing bar
sash, with glazing bar sash above, both with moulded ashlar
architraves with raised keystones. Re-entrant corner between
projecting south bay to left and C18 front to right with narrow,
rendered polygonal turret with 3 glazing bar sashes with moulded
architraves and raised keystones, one above the other. Ogee lead
covered cap with weathervane. 2 storey, 5 bay C17 front with
plinth and central doorway with moulded architrave, scrolled
brackets and C20 double glazing doors. Escutcheon of 1638 above.
Doorway flanked by 2 glazing bar sashes on each side with 5
glazing bar sashes above. All the windows with moulded
architraves and raised keystones. Wall to right with quoins,
gable above with stone coping. 5 sided bay of 1985 to right with
2 long glazing bar sashes with 2 smaller glazing bar sashes
beyond. 5 glazing bar sashes above, all of 1737 and with
moulded architraves and raised keystones. Plaque above second
window to right with Heneage greyhound and inscribed '1985'.
Bay crowned with lead covered ogee shapped cap rising to finial.
Interior with 2 storey hall of 1737 with giant order fluted
pilasters, dado with egg and dart bands. Richly moulded
modillioned cornice with rosettes and egg and dart bands. 6
pedimented doorways with moulded doorcases and egg and dart
decoration. Fine plaster ceiling of delicate panels with
tendrils, baskets spewing fruit and flowers, birds and bayleaf
decoration. Grey and white marble fireplace with caryatils in
profile and central garlanded face. Chimney piece above with
eared and shouldered architrave, pediment with cartouche and
central painting. Staircase hall of 1737 to rear with screen
passage with fluted Ionic columns and round headed
doorways at each end of passage with traceried fanlights and
moulded architraves. 3 flight return staircase of 1737 with
carved tread ends, 3 slender fluted bannisters with square knops
and acanthus leaf bulb, to each tread. Moulded C19 handrail.
Ionic pilastered Venetian window with egg and dart bands. Dado
with band of Greek key pattern. Fielded panelled walls.
Delicately plastered ceiling with ornate panels with baskets of
flowers and tendrils. Morning room of 1737 with 2 richly
decorated doorways with scrolled open pediment with rosettes,
entablature with rich carving of garlands and birds, moulded
shouldered architraves and panelled doors. Moulded cornice with
egg and dart. Ceiling of mid C20 with circle of beribboned
flowers and plain panels. Dado with egg and dart. Marble
fireplace with orange marble details and urn with roses. T plan
hall of 1807 with 2 fluted Ionic columns. Modillioned cornice
with triglyphs and greyhounds. Dining room of 1807 with
contemporary frieze, doorcase, shutters and book cases. Drawing
room of 1807 with contemporary Adam style cornice, dados, ornate
doorcases, plaster ceilings and white marble fireplace with
classical sacrifical scene. Country seat of Heneage family since
C13. Source: Lincolnshire Archives Office. HEN 3/11 Accounts
for Rebuilding Hall, December 1737.
Listing NGR: TF1796284346
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 27 Lincolnshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing