This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST GILES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1063104

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Langton By Wragby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195400

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANGTON-BY-WRAGBY CHURCH LANE TF 17 NW (north side) 4/25 Church of St. Giles 14.9.66 G.V. II Parish church. Early C14, 1866 by Atkinson of York. Ironstone and limestone coursed rubble, limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles, stone coped gables with cross finials. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel with north vestry. Plinth runs round whole church. Early C14, 4 stage, ironstone west tower with 3 stage angle buttresses. Pointed west doorway with head and jambs in one, with inner chamfered order, outer moulded order and plank door. Large pointed window with C19 tracery, 3 pointed, cusped lights, 3 trefoils, hood mould with large head label stops. Slit light above. 2 slit lights on south side. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a pointed head, 2 pointed cusped lights running up into vertical mullions with mouchettes and hood mould. Battlements above with corner gargoyles. Weathervane. North side of nave with 4 two stage buttresses alternating with 4 pointed, two light windows with oculus above, hood moulds and label stops. North vestry with gable broken through by stack supported on angel corbel, and with 2 tall angle shafts. 2 narrow pointed cusped lights below corbel. East doorway to vestry with pointed head, hood mould, label stop heads and plank door. East end of chancel with large pointed window with 2 pointed cusped lights flanking single light with irregularly shaped head, oculus above, hood mould and head label stops. South side of chancel with 2 pointed, cusped windows with hood mould running into string course on either side. South side of nave with 3 two stage buttresses alternating with 3 pointed windows each with 2 pointed cusped lights with oculus, hood mould and label stops. Steeply gabled south porch with large pointed doorway with single flanking shafts with plain moulded capitals, moulded head with cusped inner order, hood mould and head label stops. Inner south doorway with pointed head, plain surround and plank door. Interior tower arch with C14 double chamfered pointed head dying into chamfered jambs. C19 chancel arch with pointed head with 3 filleted rolls, responds with cluster of 3 rolls with fillet on central roll, foliate capitals, filleted hood mould and head label stops. C19 timber roofs with ornate ashlar corbels. Chancel with ball flower corbelling and plain, pointed vestry doorway with plank door. Pointed piscina to east with inner, open work cusping, hood mould and ornate label stops. Reredos with lower tiled area with grape and vine leaf decoration. Upper ashlar panels with Evangelists and crucifix picked out in gold. C19 pews, altar rail,lectern and stone, panelled pulpit. C19 cruciform ashlar font with red and green marble detailing and 4 marble shafts with crocket capitals. Black and grey marble monument to Ann Marwood, died 1660, with upper cartouche with coat of arms, fruit and festoons. Slate monument with pink, streaked marble surround to Barbara Evre of Washingbrooke, died 1657, with broken, segmental 1 pediment, cartouche painted gold, red and black. Source: Lincoln Public Library. Bankes Collection. Volume 3, p,13.

Listing NGR: TF1493476877

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 14934 76877

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063104 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2018 at 01:55:04.

End of official listing