READING ROOM AND LIBRARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1063212

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: READING ROOM AND LIBRARY, 12, UPGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of READING ROOM AND LIBRARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063212 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 07:35:15.

Location

Statutory Address: READING ROOM AND LIBRARY, 12, UPGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Louth

National Grid Reference: TF 32681 87332

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UPGATE 1. 1348 (West Side) No 12 (Reading Room and Library) TF 38 NW 1/26 2.11.54. II* GV 2. Formerly the Mechanics' Institute. Late C18 or early C19. 2 storeys in stucco-covered painted brick. Plinth. Quoins to ground floor, heavy cornice at 1st floor level and from this 2 end pilasters with composite capitals rise to the rebuilt parapet which screens the roof. 3 windows, hung sashes in plain reveals with plain cills, all having a triangular pediment on 2 small consoles. The central window of the 1st floor is taller and as a wide shouldered architrave, a larger pediment and larger consoles. Doorway is semi-circular-headed with fanlight and 2 panelled doors and is flanked by 2 pilasters supporting an entablature. 2 steps, 2 foot scrapers. One window section set back to the left, ground floor window altered. Interior:- Large room with Ionic pilasters to walls, entablature with dentilled cornice, musicians gallery on posts. C18 style wood fireplace with broken pedimented shelf now obscured by shelves. Part of room decoration possibly of 1853 when the roof skylight was added. Room to rear with delicate provincial Adam style decoration including enriched ceiling with swagged frieze, enriched wood fireplace flanked by doors with ornamental friezes, and good glazed screen into larger room with huge enriched semi-circular fanlight over, side lights and glazed doors. The Mechanics' Institute was originally the Mansion House of Louth and the centre of Municipal life. Nos 6 to 12 (even) form a group.

Listing NGR: TF3268187332

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195031

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing