TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1063257
Date first listed:
18-Feb-1974
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, EASTGATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063257.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2021 at 21:08:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, EASTGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Louth
National Grid Reference:
TF 32844 87444

Details

EASTGATE 1. 1348 (North Side) Town Hall TF 38 NW 1/164 II GV 2. 1854. Architect, Pearson Bellamy. Elaborate building of 3 storeys in stone and brick. Ground floor is rusticated, with plinth. Central doorway with paired Ionic half-columns, entablature with fleur-de-lys motif. Round-arched inner doorway with female mask and date. Cornice over doorway supports balustraded balcony. 7 windows, all with balustraded balconies on consoles, except for the centre one which is over the doorway, stone architraves Joined by strings, Similar windows on upper floor, but with semi-circular pediments, moulded keystones to arched heads, all of 4 lights. Large cornice and balustraded balcony with 6 urns, Upper floors of brick with carved rusticated quoins. At heads of 1st floor windows, foliated circles joined by band. Side elevation is irregular. Some vermiculated rustication and 3 bay windows. Figure of Justice on 1st floor. Nos 33 to 39 (odd), Louth Centenary Methodist Church & Town Hall together with Nos 2 & 4 Nichol Hill form a group.

Listing NGR: TF3284487444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
194939
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06375/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Edmunds. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].