FOWLER'S BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1063294
Date first listed:
14-Oct-1974
Statutory Address:
1 AND 3, TEMPLE LANE
Statutory Address:
FOWLER'S BUILDINGS, 3-9, VICTORIA STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FOWLER'S BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063294 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 07:40:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
1 AND 3, TEMPLE LANE
Statutory Address:
FOWLER'S BUILDINGS, 3-9, VICTORIA STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 34389 90456

Details

SJ 3490 SW VICTORIA STREET (north side) L2

52/1297 Nos. 3 to 9 (odd) 14.10.74 (Fowler's Buildings) ) G.V. II*

Including Nos. 1 and 3 Temple Lane. Office building. Dated 1866 and 1869. By J. A. Picton. 3 storeys and basement, 9 bays. Rusticated basement with segmental headed shop windows. Upper part stone, with 8 granite Tuscan columns to ground floor, frieze and cornice, and segmental headed windows with decorative pediment-shaped mouldings. Top floor has round-arched windows with sills on brackets. Heavy top cornice on brackets, with dentils, and centre segmental pediment. The warehouse building fronting to Temple Lane is integral with the office and part of the same scheme. It is plainer and less distinguished architecturally than the front, with a typical warehouse facade of five storeys and basement, fourteen bays, with two stacks of loading doors. The chief internal feature of both sections is the cast iron arch-braced roof trusses.

Listing NGR: SJ3438990456

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359679
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/16119/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald May. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].