Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST RADEGUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063350.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:53:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 93543 96180



1/40 Church of 16.12.64 St. Radegund


Parish church. c,l185, C14, 1773, restored by James Fowler in c.1870. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar, slate roof with stone coped east gable with finial. West tower, nave and chancel in one, north vestry. Late C12 and C14 very broad west tower of 3 stages with large, 6 stage diagonal west buttresses; single 4 stage buttress in centre of both north and south sides, and 5 stage eastern buttresses visible where later nave added. West doorway of c.1185 of 3 orders. Inner order of 2 slender moulded shafts with very narrow capitals of tall veined leaves. 2 outer orders with shafts restored in C19 with crocket capitals and grooved moulded abaci. Pointed head with 2 inner orders moulded, the outer with chipstar decoration. Moulded hood mould with foliated label stops and ribbed plank door. Late C14 window above with segmental pointed head, 2 cusped lights and continuous chamfered mullion. Moulded string course above with plain 2nd stage defined by upper moulded string course. Late C14 bell chambers on all 4 sides, each with segmental pointed head, 2 cusped lights and continuous chamfered mullion. Moulded eaves with 2 projecting gargoyles on north side and 2 more on south side. Battlements with ornate corner pinnacles. North side of nave has 2 pointed C19 windows each of 2 pointed lights with cusped oculus above and hood mould with label stops. 2 stage buttress with plinth and string course beneath windows. C19 north vestry with plinth and large chimney to west. North side has rectangular window with 3 trefoil headed lights. Doorway to east with Caernarvon head and plank door. East side of vestry with 2 pointed cusped lights. East end of chancel with plinth and large pointed window restored in C19, of 3 lights with transom, window beneath transom blocked, C19 tracery, hood mould and label stops. Plinth runs round south side of chancel and nave. 5 pointed C19 windows, each of 2 lights surmounted by cusped oculus and hood mould. Westernmost window with foliated label stops. Large early C14 interior tower arch with triple chamfered pointed head supported by cluster of 3 responds, the central one larger with fillet, and plain capitals. C19 organ arch with pointed, chamfered head, hood mould and foliated label stops. C19 timber tie-beam roof on stone corbels. C19 pews, pulpit, altar rail, brass lecturn. C19 ornate reredos by A. B. Skipworth with central copper-gilt relief of the Crucifixion by Conrad Dressler. C19 octagonal font with rosette panels and tall crocketed hood. Single small C19 monument. 2 C14 fragments of clustered capitals and octagonal shafts.

Listing NGR: SK9354396180


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05897/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].