CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1063353
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, SPITAL IN THE STREET ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063353 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 01:56:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, SPITAL IN THE STREET ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Hemswell Cliff
National Grid Reference:
SK 96634 90038

Details

SK 99 SE HEMSWELL SPITAL-IN-THE- STREET ROAD (West side)

3/49 Church of 16.12.64 St. Edmund

G.V. II

Quarter sessions court house now church.C16. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar. Slate roof with stone coped gables and bell turret on east gable of square plan, base, 4 arcaded openings with four centred arches under rectangular heads and moulded cornice. Rectangular plan. Plinth. East doorway with four centred moulded arch under rectangular head, moulded jambs and plank door. Stone above inscribed:

"Fui Ao Di 1398 } Non Fui 1594 } Dom Dei et Pauperum Sum 1616 } Qui Hanc Deus Hunc Destruet."

and a smaller datestone above inscribed 'G P 1830'. Single cross mullioned chamfered window on north, west and south sides, each of 3 lights, upper lights with four centred heads and moulded cornice. Interior has panelled ceiling with ornate brackets with corbels. C18 altar rail. C19 lecturns, C20 pews. Inscription suggests that a hostel for the poor existed on this site in 1398 and 1616, however, it had temporarily fallen out of use in 1594.

Listing NGR: SK9663490038

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196740
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05727/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].