CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1063367
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063367.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:56:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Keelby
National Grid Reference:
TA 16503 09949

Details

TA 10 NE KEELBY CHURCH LANE

6/121 Church of St. Bartholomew 1-11-66 G.V. I

Parish Church, C13, C14, C15, C16, 1692, 1847, 1908-10. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, north porch, chancel. Ironstone, limestone ashlar, chalk, brick, slate roofs. C14 west tower with moulded plinth and setback stepped buttresses of 1910, 3 stages. Gothic style window placed in the blocking of the west door. Single C20 rectangular lights on first floor, paired cusped trefoil headed bell openings with quatrefoils over between triple chamfered paired arches on the second floor. Parapet with cusped quatrefoil sunk panels with concavemoulded string beneath ornamented with flowers. North aisle has 2 three light late C15 windows having recut cusped trefoil heads beneath flat arches with hood moulds. North porch is C19 with pointed arched outer doorway, chimney to boiler in angle between porch and aisle wall. North door is a reset C14 opening, hollow chamfered with hood mould, pointed head, double chamfered reveals with a grotesque figure repositioned over its head. Chancel north wall has lower part of ironstone, the upper of chalk blocks, plinth at base stops at building line east of the north aisle. 2 C19 2 light C14 style Gothic windows. Chancel east wall in ashlar, heavily restored late C13 3 light Y tracery window. South chancel wall of ironstone near plinth but higher up it is of late C18 brick with a C19 2 light window inserted into it. South aisle of 1847, ashlar, east door to vestry and one 2 light copy of a C14 window and 2 copies of 3 light C15 windows on the north side. C14 door at west end, heavily recut, but reveals, head, hood mould and label stops appear early, but the date of 1692 on the eastern reveal internally probably dates this earlier restoration. In the west wall a further 2 light C15 style window. Internally, 3 bay mid C13 south arcade with circular shafts and bases, octagonal capitals and double chamfered pointed arches springing directly from the abaci. 3 bay north arcade, 1908, matching that to the south. C14 tower arch, chamfered reveals and double chamfered almost 4 centred head without capitals. Fine quadrupartite moulded ribbed tower vault with decorated vaulting boss and corbels. Chancel has 1908 fittings, roof of the nave and chancel of similar date. Door on south side of chancel into vestry is a recut C13 archway. C14 font, octagonal with recessed decorative panels containing cusped curvilinear quatrefoils. The original base has cusped 3 centred arches with sunk spandrels. Monuments:- 2 C15 matrices for large brasses, now robbed, at east end of nave and in the north wall of the north transept a fragment of a cut back C13 cross fleury, perhaps from a monument. North wall of chancel has a wall plaque to John South, d.1591, a square marble plaque in a marble frame with circular pendent motif below and 2 obelisks flanking a cartouche of arms above, central panel flanked by vertical margins containing ribbons, incised skulls and hourglasses. In the north wall of the north aisle a recessed circular marble frame with guilloche decoration containing a portrait bust of Alice South, d,1605. She with hands clasped in prayer, with a ruff and cowled head, beneath is a rectangular inscribed marble plaque with a decorative frame.

Listing NGR: TA1650309948

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196668
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06100/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].