Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063371.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:56:21.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lindsey (District Authority)
Searby cum Owmby
National Grid Reference:
TA 07255 05865


TA OO NE SEARBY BACK LANE CUM OWMBY (North side) 4/134 Church of St. Nicholas 1-11-66 G.V. II

Parish Church: 1832, but base of tower is of stone and could be Medieval. Yellow brick, ashlar dressings, slate roof with lead dressings, stone coped gable to nave, hipped end to chancel. Western tower, nave, chancel. 3 stage tower with plinth, 2 string courses, battlemented parapet. First stage has single pointed light on the south side. Belfry stage has a double light under a pointed arch, clock on south face. West side is as south but no clock, and plank and muntin door under a Tudor style 4 centred arch with a narrow cornice. North side has a single light in the first stage. North side of nave has three 3 light windows with 4 centred arched heads to each light and a hood mould. Plain moulded cornice. Chancel is splayed at the eastern angles, and has a doorway in a Tudor style arch like the west door. The east window is a 4 centred arch with hood mould, of 3 lights with reticulated tracery renewed in C20, South side of nave matches the north. Interior has plain whitewashed walls with a wooden ceiling. Western tower has a porch in the base with a plain C19 stair to a gallery on the south side, the west door is also in the Tudor style with 2 glazed lights and bordered stained glass surround, 4 panels beneath. On nave walls are 3 lozenge shaped plaques bearing figures of saints. The west gallery is of wood with rounded angles, standing on 4 octagonal pillars, the front is panelled in the Tudor style, matching the rest, and in the centre panel is an inscription in gold lettering, "This loft was erected in the year MDCCCXXXII at Mrs. Roadley's expense, John Feravy Church Warden". The chancel arch is pointed with double splay, no imposts. There are 2 further lozenge shaped panels in the chancel walls. Fittings: carved by Vicar Townsend between 1845-1889. The pine pews all match with roll moulded tops, pierced quatrefoils and trefoils. Monuments: In the chancel at the east end are a pair of white marble tablets on black marble backgrounds with sarcophagi, urns and scrolls. On the north side to Richard Dixon Roadley, d.1826, and on the south to Richard Roadley d.1825 and Ann Roadley d.l858. Both by G. Earle of Hull. In the nave, marble tablet with Gothick stone surround to John Frank d.1769. Stained glass in nave dated 1889, dedicated to Townsend, the Vicar who carved the fittings: the glass in the top of the east window appears to be late C18. The font is late C18, an octagonal bowl on an octagonal pedestal with a square base.

Listing NGR: TA0725505865


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00562/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Janet Tierney. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].