METHODIST CENTENARY CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1063444
Date first listed:
16-May-1984
Statutory Address:
METHODIST CENTENARY CHAPEL, CHAPEL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of METHODIST CENTENARY CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063444 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 21:22:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
METHODIST CENTENARY CHAPEL, CHAPEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Market Rasen
National Grid Reference:
TF 10730 88921

Details

TF 1088-1188 CHAPEL STREET 2/7 Methodist Centenary Chapel

II*

1863. Immensely impressive classical style nonconformist chapel of brick with stone dressings. Tall prostyle Ionic portico of 4 columns and 4 pilasters. 3 round headed doorways with boldly rusticated surrounds and heavy keystones, topped with a cornice and miniature pediment. 3 windows above, round headed sashes with blind balustrades below. Rusticated quoins with bold stringcourse below first floor windows, stone dentil cornice above and slate roof. Side elevations of 6 bays. 2 end bays slightly projecting with quoins. Lower windows sashed with moulded surrounds, upper with round heads, and moulded round hoods. Centre 4 bays, attached arcade with giant stock brick pilasters. Parish room dated 1891 attached to south east corner. Two sets of gatepiers with heavy iron railings and gates. Most of original fittings survive, internally, including box pews, oval gallery and grand double-decker pulpit.

Listing NGR: TF1073088921

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196439
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 2007
Reference: IOE01/16921/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].