Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063483.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:57:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 13289 92294



6/68 Church of St. Mary 1.11.66. (formerly listed as Church of II* St Mary and All Saints)

Parish Church. 1914 by Temple Moore. Coursed ironstone rubble, ironstone ashlar. Plain tile roofs. West tower, nave with central arcade, rectangular chancel with north vestry and low outhouse. West tower with broad buttress to north with pointed west door with ashlar surround, hoodmould and plank door. Rectangular 2 light window above with leaded lights and hood mould. South side has small rectangular light low down in south east corner. Paired bell openings on all 4 sides under rectangular heads with wooden shutters pierced by heart-shaped openings. West side of north aisle has 2 light rectangular window with leaded lights and hoodmould. North side proper has rectangular window of 2 lights with leaded lights. Large buttress with set off beyond and another 2 light rectangular window with leaded lights. Low coal bunker and outhouse with doorway with Caenarvon head and plank door. Large north vestry with chimney, 2 light rectangular window with leaded lights and hoodmould and door with Caernavon head and plank door. Gabled east end of vestry has 3 light rectangular window with hoodmould. Stone embedded in east corner of chancel with dedication to Percival Laurence, rector of Walesby 1879-1913. Gabled east end of chancel has pointed window with 3 cusped lights, C19 tracery and hoodmould. South side of chancel has 3 light rectangular window with leaded lights and hoodmould to east and doorway with Caernavon head and plank door to west with pointed window of 2 cusped lights, C19 tracery and hoodmould beyond. Projecting south nave aisle has rectangular 2 light window with leaded lights to east and large buttress with set off to west with 3 light rectangular window with leaded lights and hoodmould, beyond. Interior has striking central 2 bay nave arcade with very tall piers of complex design and pointed richly moulded arches. Pointed moulded chancel arch with outer order running into stringcourse to north and south sides above small paired pointed openings allowing vision through to chancel creating a 'screen-effect'. 2 plain pointed arches lead into north vestry. South east chancel window and east window of vestry each have C15 traceried 3 light windows set in front of those by Moore, to great effect. Fittings all of 1914, except for C12 octagonal stone font on scored supporting column with octagonal abacus and 2 ornate C19 chairs.

Listing NGR: TF1328992294


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09438/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].