This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TRINITY ARTS CENTRE (FORMERLY CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TRINITY ARTS CENTRE (FORMERLY CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY)

List entry Number: 1063496

Location

TRINITY ARTS CENTRE (FORMERLY CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY), TRINITY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Gainsborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-May-1977

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196354

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



910/2/142 TRINITY STREET 12-MAY-77 (East side) TRINITY ARTS CENTRE (FORMERLY CHURCH O F THE HOLY TRINITY) (Formerly listed as: TRINITY STREET CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY)

II DATES OF MAIN PHASES/ NAMES OF ARCHITECTS: Built in 1841-3 to designs by Thomas Johnson of Lichfield. Chancel enlarged in 1871 by J L Pearson. Further work in 1911 including a vestry extension on the SE side of the chancel in 1911 to designs by William Scorer and Henry Gamble. It became redundant in 1973 and was converted to an arts centre in 1982-4 by T R Benton of Sleaford.

MATERIALS: Stone faced.

PLAN: Cruciform. Unaisled nave, chancel and large N and S transepts. W tower. Extension on S side.

EXTERIOR: Thin, pre-archaeological Gothic with narrow lancet windows and thin buttresses. The tall, slender W tower is set within the body of the nave, and the spire forms an important landmark. Very large transepts. Brick extension to the S of 1982-4 has a low clerestory and a catslide roof with the nave. The windows were also largely blocked during this work.

INTERIOR: The interior has been entirely converted to an arts centre and theatre, but the C19 roof forms an important feature of the theatre space.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: None. Interior entirely converted to other uses.

HISTORY: The church was built in 1841-3 to accommodate the growing population of Gainsborough. Its cruciform plan, with a tiny chancel, large, three bay transepts and an unaisled nave with a W gallery was designed for pre-Tractarian, prayer book worship, with pews facing inwards from three sides. The architect, Thomas Johnson of Lichfield (1794-1865) built a number of churches in the Midlands. It was repaired and the chancel enlarged in 1871, and there was further work in 1911. It became redundant in 1973 and was converted into an arts centre in 1982-4.

SOURCES: Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (2002), 295 Lambeth Palace Library ICBS 02772, 10971

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The (former) church of Holy Trinity, Gainsborough is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Redundant church of 1841-3 by T Johnson of Lichfield, ashlar faced in a plain, pre-archaeological Gothic style. * Chancel enlarged in 1871, with further work in 1911 and in 1982-4 following conversion to an arts centre. * Tall W tower and spire form an important landmark.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 81773 89381

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063496 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2018 at 06:03:40.

End of official listing