Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063536.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:25:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 35192 60038



2/42 Church of St. Helen

3.2.67 II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restorations 1830, 1853 by Fowler, 1863 and 1881. Ashlar, some red brick. Slate roofs. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east nave, east chancel and south porch. Buttressed. Tower, nave, aisles, south porch and chancel. C15 angle buttressed tower set on a moulded plinth of 4 stages with bands. Brick parapet with single corner gargoyles. Single carved angels holding shields to the centre of the south, north and west sides. Deep moulded C15 west doorway with hood mould and label stops. Above is a single C15 arched 4 light window with panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. Single rectangular light over. 3 small stair lights. The south and north sides each with single large brick blocked chamfered archways with 3 corbels over. South and east sides each with single rectangular lights at the third stage, the south side also with 2 stair lights. 4 arched C19 bell chamber openings each with 3 arched and cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. The north aisle, set on a plinth to west and north, is patched with brick and has in the west wall a single heavily restored C13 trefoil arched lancet. The north wall has a single C13 window with single pair of pointed arched lights surmounted by single truncated roundel. To the left is a chamfered pointed arched doorway with C14 carved human head over and further left a single C14 window with 2 ogee arched and elaborately cusped lights under a flat arch. The east wall has a single heavily restored C13 trefoil arched lancet. The chancel, set on a plinth to the east and south, has in the east wall a single C19 arched 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould, human head label stops and continuous stepped sill band which extends to the south wall which has 2 C19 arched 2 light windows with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south aisle is set on a chamfered plinth, the east wall has a single C19 arched 2 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and decorative label stops. The south wall has 2 C19 arched 2 light windows with cusped tracery, hood mould and decorative label stops. To the left is the gabled porch, rebuilt C19, with C15 moulded arched entrance, hood mould and human head label stops. Flanking the arch are single carved angels holding shields. Inner C19 moulded arched doorway with hood mould and decorative label stops. To the left and in the west wall of the south aisle are single similar C19 windows with hood moulds and decorative label stops. Interior. 4 bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches, the south side early C13 with octagonal columns and responds, the 2 east columns and west respond with nail head decoration to the capitals, hood mould to the nave side. Late C13 north arcade with quatrefoil piers and responds with fillets and moulded capitals, hood mould and human head label stops to the nave side. Tall C15 double chamfered tower arch. C19 chamfered and moulded chancel arch, the inner order supported on foreshortened colonnettes with moulded capitals in turn supported on decorative corbels. Hood mould and angel label stops. C14 octagonal font, the bowl decorated with quatrefoil panels. Several C15 bench ends some with poppyheads, some with human head carving. Church re-roofed late C19.

Listing NGR: TF3519260038


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04071/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].