SPILSBY METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1063551
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
SPILSBY METHODIST CHURCH, MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SPILSBY METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063551.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 16:51:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
SPILSBY METHODIST CHURCH, MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Spilsby
National Grid Reference:
TF 40359 66091

Details

SPILSBY MARKET STREET TF 4066-4166 (east side) 7/72 Spilsby Methodist Church G.V. II Methodist chapel. 1877-8 by Charles Bell, in Geometric style. Yellow stock brick with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Gable end to street, having tall stepped gable buttresses, with central doorway up 6 steps. Double doors, with traceried circle in pointed tympanum. Double stepped arch with roll moulded bricks, gablette over. Above a 6 light Geometric traceried window and in the gable 3 stepped trefoil headed louvred lancets, and over a plate traceried circle in pointed opening. The side front has buttresses marking the 6 bays, each with 2 light windows with segmental heads and 2 light pointed windows to gallery stage. To the rear a 2 storey former caretaker's house with plain sash windows. The interior of the chapel has a continuous upper gallery on cast iron columns with floriate capitals. The wooden balustrade has narrow piers and pointed openings. The wide span roof is arch braced with quatrefoils in the spandrels, supported on carved stone corbels and tied by iron rods. The raised octagonal pulpit has a shafted pedestal, panels decorated with cut out circles and narrow stairs with turned balusters. All contemporary pews. The organ is by Foster and Andrews of Hull, dated 1878. The entrance porch has original doors and side panels, tiled floor and pair of commandment boards.

Listing NGR: TF4035966091

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196187
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04059/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].