Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063600.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:14:14.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
South Thoresby
National Grid Reference:
TF 40139 77070


SOUTH THORESBY CHURCH LANE TF 47 NW (east side) 2/35 Church of St. Andrew 9.3.67 II*

Parish church. 1738, restored 1872. Red brick in English bond with ashlar dressings. Lead roofs with stone coped gables. Western tower, nave, chancel. 3 stage tower with chamfered plinth, 2 stone bands, offset belfry stage with plain parapet and crocketed corner pinnacles. To the belfry stage are semi- circular headed blocked openings with ashlar key and impost blocks, to the south and north, and a similar louvred opening to the west with ashlar surround. The south doorway is of 6 panels, set in a Gibbsian surround with pediment in the field of which is carved the date 1738. The leaded west window is a taller version of the belfry light. The side walls of the nave have plinth and brick dentillated eaves, with 2 semi-circular headed lights at the west end. The chancel east window is a Venetian window in matching style with broad pilasters dividing the lights. Interior. Nave and chancel are undifferentiated. Deeply coved ceiling cornice. Turned and fluted balusters re- used in altar rail. Octagonal panelled C18 pulpit and readers desk. All other fittings are C19 except for the C14 octagonal font with traceried panels to the bowl. Monuments. On the south wall of the nave a marble wall plaque in the form of an obelisk to Willoughby Wood d.1786 with oval cartouche depicting a rose bush with a single fallen rose.

Listing NGR: TF4013977070


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/10850/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Miles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].