CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1063676

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 14:53:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Harrington

National Grid Reference: TF 36731 71856

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARRINGTON CHURCH LANE TF 37 SE (east side)

3/34 Church of 3.2.67 St. Mary

II*

Parish church. C13, rebuilt 1854-5 by S. S. Teulon. Dressed greenstone. Slate roofs. Single stack to the east nave. Buttressed nave. Tower, nave, south porch and chancel. C13 tower, heightened C19, set on a chamfered plinth and of 2 stages, the top C19 stage being slightly set back and with small angle buttresses. Single corner gargoyles to the west side. The west wall has a single arched 2 light C19 window with reticulated tracery, hood mould and C14 human head label stops. Above is a single ogee arched light with single transom, single similar lights to the north and south sides. 4 arched 2 light C19 bell chamber openings with plate tracery, the lights divided by single clustered colonnettes. The north nave has 3 trefoil arched C19 single light windows with hood moulds, the central single window with human head label stops, the remaining 2 with decorative label stops. To the left is a single C19 arched 2 light window with reticulated tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The north chancel with band which forms a continuous sill band to the east wall and the south chancel apart from the single right window where it forms a hood mould. The east wall with single 3 light arched C19 window with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The south chancel has a single arched C19 window with cusped tracery, to the left is a single arched 2 light C19 window with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The south nave has a single 3 light arched C19 window with cusped tracery, hood mould and decorative label stops. To the left are 2 two light arched C19 windows with cusped tracery, hood moulds and label stops. Those to the right being human head, those to the left decorative. On the far left is the gabled and coped porch with moulded and chamfered arched entrance, hood mould and human head label stops. Each side wall with single quatrefoil. Inner moulded arched doorway with hood mould and human head label stops. Interior. Triple chamfered C13 tower arch. Moulded chancel arch supported on responds of 3 foreshortened colonnettes, the central with fillet, further supported on single decorativfe corbels. The east window is flanked by single colonnettes with moulded arch, hood mould and human head label stops. Chancel roof supported on 2 moulded capitals in turn supported on single carved angels. C15 ashlar font, the shaft decorated with blind perpendicular tracery, the octagonal bowl with 8 shields with single carved heads over. Single C15 bench with poppy heads. C17 chest with some carving. Memorials. South nave has an arched tomb recess contaning the restored C14 effigy of a cross legged knight in chain mail with shield and feet on a lion. Mounted onto a choir stall is a C15 brass of a female figure. Tower has a black stone tomb chest, the sides decorated with shields set into roundels. Over is a wall tablet containing 3 brass plaques, 2 of shields the third with inscription to John Copledike,1557 and his wife, 1552. In the chancel is a further tomb chest to John Copledike, 1585 and his wife, 1582. The sides of this tomb similarly decorated. 4 octagonal columns support a canopy with quatrefoil frieze and a cresting. The back panel now was 2 brass figures and 3 shields, also some blind tracery. Blind tracery to soffit. The memorial to Tho. Copledike, 1658, has the apron decorated with a carved angel and is topped with a broken segmental pediment containing a shield. Alabaster memorial to Francis Copuldyck and his wife and family, 1599, 2 kneeling figures with 2 further smaller similar figures in decorated aedicule surround flanked by single obelisks with decorative apron and coloured cartouche, flanked by single coloured shields on the crown. That to Anna Maria Amcotts, 100 has a shield surmounting the tablet and a shield on the apron.

Listing NGR: TF3673171856

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195961

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing