CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1063677
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063677 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 15:46:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Langton By Spilsby
National Grid Reference:
TF 38987 70396

Details

LANGTON BY SPILSBY CHURCH LANE TF 37 SE Langton (south side)

3/38 Church of St.Peter 3.2.67 and St.Paul

G.V. I

Parish church. Early C18, roof pitch increased 1792, 1825. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with overhanging eaves. Ashlar quoins. Set on a brick and chamfered ashlar plinth. One and a half storeys with first floor ashlar band. Nave and chancel under a single roof. West end with 1825 octagonal turret, each side with 2 circular openings. West wall with doorway with moulded ashlar architrave and ashlar pediment. Either side are single blocked round arched window openings with ashlar impost and key blocks. Above is a single central oval blocked window opening with 4 ashlar key blocks and ashlar surround. Either side are single blind segmental arched recessed panels with ashlar key stones. The north wall has 5 round arched windows with ashlar key and impost blocks and lead glazing bars. Over are 5 blind rectangular recessed panels. The east wall has 3 similar round arched blind windows. Above are 3 segmental arched recessed blind panels with ashlar keystones. In the apex is a single small circular opening. The south side corresponds to the north. Interior. C18 complete internal woodwork including tiered box pews facing inwards with fluted pilasters and fielded panels. Similar three decker pulpit the steps with turned balusters, the tester with entablature and marquetry soffit. Pews and pulpit with brass candlesticks. Curved reredos with fielded panels, fluted Corinthian columns and segmental pediment over with finials. Dentil cornice extending across the whole of the east wall. Communion rails with turned balusters. Fielded panelled west gallery supported on 2 fluted columns and with similar brass candlesticks. The doorway under leading to the inner west porch with panelled double door with fanlight and fluted architrave, the west side with panelled reveal. Moulded plaster ceiling with egg and dart and dentil cornice with 2 decorative brackets above the reredos. The ceiling here being further decorated. Octagonal C15 ashlar font decorated with blind cusped tracery to bowl and pedestal, plus early C18 wooden domed cover. There are 3 hatchments and a single late C18 wall tablet. In the porch is the remains of a C13 decorated Crucifixus.

Listing NGR: TF3898670395

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195965
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05890/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].