CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, GRIMSBY ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063679.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:34:29.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, GRIMSBY ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Lindsey (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 41042 68367
PARTNEY GRIMSBY ROAD
TF 46 NW (east side)
8/45 Church of
3.2.67 St. Nicholas
Parish church. C14, C15, chancel rebuilt 1828, nave and aisles rebuilt and porch built c.1862 by C. E. Giles, tower part rebuilt 1910. Ashlar with dressed greenstone tower, red brick. Slate roofs with coped gables. Single ridge crosses to the porch, east nave and east chancel. Single stack to the south chancel. Set on a plinth, being chamfered to tower and north aisle and moulded to south aisle and porch, aisles buttressed. Tower, nave, aisles, south porch, north vestry and chancel. Angle buttressed C15 tower of 4 stages with bands including moulded band over plinth and topped with a parapet and single corner gargoyles and finials. West side with ogee arched moulded doorway with hood mould and human head label stops. Above is a single C15 arched 4 light window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. Over is a single arched and cusped light. The north and south sides with single similar lights, the south side with single clock face under and 4 rectangular stair lights. 4 arched C15 bell chamber 3 light openings with cusped panel tracery, hood moulds and worn label stops. The west wall'of the north aisle has a single C14 arched 3 light window with reticulated tracery, hood mould and label stops. The north wall has 2 heavily restored arched 2 light C14 windows with flowing tracery, C19 hood moulds and label stops. To the left is a single restored C14 window with 3 ogee arched and cusped lights and tracery under a flat arch with hood mould and on the far left is a single segmental arched restored C14 window with 3 ogee arched and cusped lights, tracery and hood mould. C15 clerestorey with 4 arched 2 light windows with cusped tracery. In the apex of the east nave is a single roundel. The C19 vestry projecting from the east wall of the north aisle has a pointed arched doorway in the north wall, the east wall has a single arched 2 light window. The north wall of the C19 chancel is patched under the eaves with brick. The east chancel of brick with clasping buttresses topped with single ashlar finials, coped gable terminating in single small carved human heads and ashlar band following the line of the gable has a single arched re-used ashlar 5 light C15 window with single transom with ogee arched and cusped lights and quatrefoils below and ogee arched and cusped lights and tracery above. South wall with similar finial to the west and ashlar band extendinq under the eaves has a single ashlar and brick blind arched panel. The east wall of the south aisle with single arched 3 light C14 window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south wall with single restored segmental arched 3 light C14 window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. To the left is a single restored 3 light C14 window with reticulated tracery under a flat arch and with hood mould and label stops. The C19 gabled porch with paraparet, decorated to the south side, has single angle finials and a moulded arched entrance with hood mould and human head label stops. Each side wall has 3 trefoil arched lights. Inner C14 moulded ogee arched doorway with hood mould, human head label stops and finial. Over is a carved statuette. To the left is a single similar C14 window under a flat arch and in the west wall a single arched 3 light C14 window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior. 4 bay C14 nave arcades with double chamfered arches, octagonal columns and responds to the south side. The capitals of the south side decorated with nobbly leaves. The west capital of the north side with carved heads, the central capital with carved heads sprouting leaves and the east with fleuron. Both sides with human head label stops. The south side of the south arcade with hood mould and human head label stops. Tall C15 triple chamfered tower arch. C14 moulded chancel arch, the inner order supported on large carved human heads, the outer order decorated with carved fleuron and human and animal heads. Over is a single roundel. Below the arch and at the juncture of north nave and chancel is a further carved human head. The arch from chancel to vestry is part blocked with a doorway. Low chancel screen with some C15 fragments. The north wall of the north aisle with single arched piscina. The north aisle with a screen reconstructed from fragments of a C15 screen with panel tracery. Octagonal C15 ashlar font, bowl and pedestal decorated with blind tracery. C19 ashlar pulpit. North aisle with 4 boards with biblical quotations. Benefactions board, 1719. Brass memorial to Jane Rugeley, 1670. Single late C18 and 2 early C19 memorials.
Listing NGR: TF4104268367
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing