Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063691.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:06:20.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 33570 81400



4/15 Church of All Saints 9.3.67 II*

Parish church, now redundant. 1840, by W. A. Nicholson. Rendered brick, green sandstone rubble. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel. Plinth runs round entire church. West tower with 3 stage diagonal buttresses. Pointed west window with 2 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Moulded string course above with oculus containing trefoil and moulded string course above that. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a pointed head with 2 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery, ogee shaped hood mould with crockets, label stops and finial. Moulded eaves and battlements above with ornate corner pinnacles with traceried blind panels, recessed octagonal spire with ornate flyers and crockets. North side of nave with 3 windows alternating with 4 two stage buttresses crowned with ornate pinnacles; the windows with pointed heads, 2 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Moulded eaves and battlements. North side of chancel with narrow pointed window with inner cusped pointed light with panel tracery and hood mould. East end with 2 stage angle buttresses crowned with ornate pinnacles and flanking large pointed window with 3 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Moulded eaves and ornate parapet with corbel head supporting cross finial. South side of chancel with single pointed cusped light, panel tracery and hood mould. Nave with 2 pointed windows each with 2 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Gabled porch to west with single ogee headed lights in east and west walls, pointed doorway with continuous chamfered surround and hood mould. Moulded eaves, ornate parapet, finial and pinnacles above. Inner pointed doorway with continuous chamfered surround and panelled doors. Church interior with tower doorway with triangular head, broad, chamfered surround with hood mould and traceried panelled door. Flattened triangular chancel arch with broad, continuously chamfered surround, hood mould and ornate label stops. Chancel arch flanked by painted boards inscribed with The Ten Commandments. All the windows and south doorway with hood moulds and label stops. Ornate tie beam roof with richly cusped posts and carved corbels and with royal coat of arms above chancel arch. C19 pews with poppyhead finials. 2 box pews with traceried panels, one incorporating pulpit and lectern. C19 choir stalls, altar rail and reredos. C19 stained glass including copy of "The Light of the World" by Holman Hunt. Monuments include: one to Elizabeth Pearson, died 1857, white marble on black field; a similar monument to John Pearson, died 1878; a white scroll of grey field, to Nathaniel Cartwright, died 1867; a white monument on grey field with urn and draperies, to Elizabeth Cartwright, died 1826; a white marble monument on grey field, with coat of arms, to George Chaplin, died 1857; a white monument with urn and draperies on grey field, to Sarah Cartwright, died 1847; and a white oval on a black field, to Lt. Col. Henry Anton, died 1871. Gravestones in nave include ones to John Waterland, died 1761; Edward Hyde, died 1740, and Daniel Hide, died 1738. C15 octagonal font with cusped panels containing shields, and with moulded octagonal pedestal and base. Smaller C15 font or stoup, on tall octagonal base and pedestal with traceried panels and bowl with rectangular quatrefoils.

Listing NGR: TF3357081400


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Oct 2007
Reference: IOE01/16929/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].