This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1063700

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, DONINGTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stenigot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195916

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STENIGOT DONINGTON LANE TF 28 SE (north side)

3/32 Church of 9.3.67 St. Nicholas

II

Parish church. 1892. Red brick with limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roof with stone coped gables with cross finial, dentillated eaves and gabled west bellcote with pointed opening containing bell and cross finial. West porch, nave and chancel in one with north vestry. Plinth runs round entire church. Gabled west porch with pointed doorway with inner pointed doorway with continuously chamfered surround and plank door. North side with 2 pairs of lancets with gabled vestry beyond with rectangular north window with 2 cusped ogee headed lights and pointed brick relieving arch above. East end of chancel with pointed window with 3 pointed lights and intersecting tracery. South side with 2 pairs of lancets. Interior with plain vestry doorway with panelled door. C15 octagonal font with quatrefoils containing shields and tall octagonal pedestal. C19 pews, lecterns, altar rails and reredos. Monument to Sir John Guevara, died 1607, of white and grey and orange streaked alabaster and black marble inscription plaque, with a kneeling figure in ruff, pantaloons and armour; with a prieu dieu; with flanking composite marble columns, ornate apron and entablature with large coat of arms. Monument to Francis Velles de Guevara, died 1592; of white and orange streaked alabaster and black marble inscription slab; with figure kneeling before prieu dieu wearing a ruff, pantaloons and cloak; segmental pediment above supported on decorated pilasters and with large coat of arms above.

Listing NGR: TF2523280883

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 25232 80883

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063700 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2018 at 08:56:22.

End of official listing