BROUGHTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1063760
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1975
Statutory Address:
BROUGHTON HALL, YEW TREE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROUGHTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063760 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 01:22:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
BROUGHTON HALL, YEW TREE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 41208 92350

Details

SJ 49 SW LIVERPOOL YEW TREE LANE L12

392-/5/1417 Broughton Hall 14.3.75 GV II*

House, now used as a prep school by Convent of Mercy. c.1856. Rock-faced stone, steeply pitched slate roof. 2 storeys with basement, 7 bays with later 2-bay extension to right. 1st 7 bays symmetrical, with central bay breaking forward and end bays projecting, all under gables. Sill courses and embattled parapet. Windows are mullioned and transomed with pointed lights. 1st bay oriel with long bracket, traceried heads and embattled parapet. Central bay has enclosed porch with stepped gable and finial, octagonal turrets with buttresses and pinnacles. Tudor-arched entrance has 3-light window over. 1st floor window above porch with stepped gable and finial, octagonal turrets with buttresses and pinnacles. Tudor-arched entrance has 3-light window over. 1st floor window above porch of 4 stepped ogee-headed lights under relieving arch. Recessed bays have 2-light windows flanking lateral stacks. End basement are similar, with stepped parapet. Left return has conservatory, iron and glass, 7 x 7 bays with belvedere. Connecting bay to house and opposite 3-bay forward break with entrance. Elaborate decoration to columns and arched panels. Now has felt roof (1984).

Listing NGR: SJ4120892350

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359795
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16753/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald May. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].