This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HUNTINGDON HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HUNTINGDON HALL

List entry Number: 1063893

Location

HUNTINGDON HALL, BELL SQUARE, CROWNGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Worcester

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jun-2001

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 488527

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORCESTER

SO8454NE BELL SQUARE, CROWNGATE 620-1/16/151 Huntingdon Hall 22/5/54 (Formerly Listed as: DEANSWAY Countess of Huntingdon's (Connexion) Chapel) (Formerly Listed as: GV II*

Formerly known as: Countess of Huntingdon's (Connexion) Chapel BIRDPORT. Includes: Huntingdon Hall CROWN GATE. Chapel, now concert hall. Built 1804, enlarged 1815. For the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion. Restored and converted toa concert hall and arts centre by the City of Worcester Building Preservation Trust and re-opened 1987. Original block to West (left) of pinkish-brown brick in English Garden Wall bond with renewed stone sills, and hipped plain tile roof; range at East is brick with painted stucco to front facade scored in imitation of ashlar with concealed roof. T-shape on plan with rectangular block to right with facade angled to follow line of street, ovoid range added to East includes full-height bows at front and rear. Single tall storey,1:1:1:3 windows. Left range: entrance to centre of bow has double 16-raised-and-fielded-panel doors in Roman Doric porch with columnar reveals, Dentil frieze with incised Greek fret, Modillion cornice. To either side of entrance a tall, round-arched 48/72 pane sash with radial glazing bars to head, curved on section, in plain, stepped reveals. Frieze and ovolo-moulded cornice. Low coped parapet. Range to right: lower stage has three 24-pane fixed light windows in near-flush frames (renewed) with renewed sills, under segmental arches. Above each of these a round-arched, 24/24replacement fixed light window in near-flush frame and with round arches of gauged brick. Cogged eaves band. Rear of West range similar to its front facade; further entrance to West return has double panelled doors. Left return: two round-arched 30/18 fixed-light windows(truncated) with radial glazing bars to heads, with sills and in stepped reveals under renewed round arches. Bow to rear has two 30/36 round-arched sashes curved on section, with radial glazing bars to head. Stepped band. Right return: projecting porch to 3/4 height, double panelled doors in segmental-arched surround with plain arch on imposts and with keystone. Above this an 18-light window and inscription plaque on corbels inscribed: "The Countess of Huntingdon's Hall". At right, steps to gallery entrance, 6-flush-beaded-panel door in similar surround. To either side of main entrance are round-arched, multi-pane windows. INTERIOR: a fine, intact survival of its type. The ovoid block forms the East end, divided from main block by 3 arches on cast-iron cluster columns and corbels to responds, the outer arches are 4-centred, the central arch is cambered. Panelled gallery on slender cast-iron column-clusters running full circuit and curved around bows. Panelled box pews to lower stage, stepped benches with panelled backs to gallery. Dado has raised-and-fielded-panelled dado to lower stage, sunk panels to upper stage. To West end a part-glazed screen and clock in front of gallery. East end has organ with 4 towers of pipes; pulpit on 4 fluted Doric columns stands before it with twin staircases having ornate cast-iron balusters and wreathed handrail, carved tread ends; 2 eagle lecterns; ornate cast-iron communion rails. 4-panel doors. Original stairs curve around East bows with curved mahogany handrail. To upper stage are 2 boards recording 'Benefactions'. East end has 2 stained glass windows, otherwise some stained glass panels. Quatrefoil inscription tablets to East end. Plain ceiling with oval and circular Adam-style ventilating grilles. Some marble wall tablets, mainly late C19 and early C20. HISTORICAL NOTE: Lady Huntingdon visited Worcester in 1769 at which time her Connexion had 200 followers. Forms one unit with No.16 Deansway (qv). NMR photographs. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire: Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 322; RCHME: Non-Conformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England: London: 1986-: 258-9).



Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 84913 54856

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063893 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 08:24:30.

End of official listing