This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NCP MULTI STOREY CAR PARK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NCP MULTI STOREY CAR PARK

List entry Number: 1063903

Location

NCP MULTI STOREY CAR PARK, 32-36, BREWER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Mar-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 488537

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1900/0/10300 BREWER STREET 22-MAR-02 32-36 NCP Multi Storey Car Park

II

Multi-storey car park. 1929. Robert Sharp (1884-1950) with J.J. Joass (1868-1952). Steel and concrete frame, glazed ceramic front elevation, copper-clad dome, brick-clad side and rear elevations; steel Crittall windows. PLAN: long rectangular site with forecourt to front, projecting tower at south-west corner. Basement with four upper floors, reached via ramps along west side of building. Lifts and stairs behind tower; other stairs on centre of east side, near Ingestre Place entrance. EXTERIOR: Classical-Moderne style front elevation. Ground floor originally part-glazed, now open. Upper floors fronted with seven bay front articulated with pilasters, with alternating strips of terracotta and windows, with plain square panels below each opening; parapet above. Recessed easternmost bay with narrow windows to each floor. Canted tower to left of four floors, with plain rectangular openings on each floor to the front three sides; open dome above cornice. Blank front of tower formerly sported a painted inscription panel reading 'LEX GARAGE'. Four bay return to southern part of Lexington Street with pilasters. Eastern flank elevation of unadorned concrete frame with brick in-fill and similar windows, containing secondary entrance. Faded painted sign reading GARAGE on north return. INTERIOR: parking originally for 1,000 cars over 121,000 sq ft of parking apace over five floors. Largely unencumbered floor plates with ramped access at west side, Heavy concrete beams carry floors above. Turntables formerly in centre of each floor now removed. Former lay-out included a chauffeurs' canteen, cafe and kitchen on front of first floor, with bathroom within tower of each floor; garage and store to front of ground floor, with petrol pumps in forecourt. These features have all gone. HISTORY: opened in mid-1929 as the 'Lex Garage', this is among the earliest surviving ramped multi-storey car parks to be built in the country and was described at the time as 'probably the largest and best-equipped building for the service of the motor-car that has yet appeared in this congested city'. It was intended to serve the West End, especially Theatreland, to which increasing numbers were coming by car. Its monumental street presence endows it with considerable power.

SOURCES: The Architect & Building News, June 21 1929, 818-20; The Builder June 14 1929, 1079; RCHME, Road Transport Buildings (unpublished report 1998), 41-50, 92-106. TQ2950380919

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Calladine, T, Morrison, K, Road Transport Buildings, (1998), 41-50,92

National Grid Reference: TQ 29501 80919

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063903 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 11:28:46.

End of official listing