CHURCH OF ST EDWARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1064015

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDWARD, BARLINGS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDWARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064015 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 15:39:24.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDWARD, BARLINGS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Barlings

National Grid Reference: TF 07563 74875

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARLINGS BARLINGS LANE TF 07 SE (east side) 4/21 Church of St. Edward 30.11.66 G.V. II

Parish church. C11, early C14, 1876 by Charles Kirk. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs with stone coped east gables and cross finials. Weatherboarded western gable of tall eastern bay of nave. C14 west bell turret with single pointed opening, roll moulded head, hoodmould and label stops, with stone gable above and roll moulded sides. West bell turret, nave with tall C19 bay to east and rectangular chancel with north vestry. C14 west front with C19 round headed doorway with deep set panelled double doors and traceried fanlight. Bell turret above. North side of C14 nave with C19 rectangular window with plain leaded lights. C19 projecting bay to east with plinth, moulded string course and 2 stage western angle buttress. Single pointed window with double chamfered head, nook shafts, hood mould and label stops. Corbel table above. Projecting gabled C19 north vestry to east with plinth, string course and single stage angle buttress. Pointed north window of 2 pointed lights and plate tracery. East vestry doorway with round voussoired head, re-used C11 chamfered imposts and plank door. North side of C19 chancel with plinth, string course and pair of pointed lights with nook shafts, hood mould and label stops. Corbel table above. East end with 2 stage angle buttresses, plinth and inscribed foundation stone. 3 large, chamfered, pointed lights separated by 4 large shafts with moulded capitals, hood mould and label stops. Round window above with plate traceried quatre-foils, hood mould and label stops. South side of chancel with plinth, string course and 2 pairs of pointed, chamfered lights with nook shafts, hood moulds and label stops, divided by 2 stage buttress. C19 projecting bay to west with flanking 2 stage buttresses, plinth, string course and pointed window with chamfered surround, nook shafts, hood mould and label stops. South side of medieval nave with early C14 pointed window to east with 3 cusped, ogee headed lights and reticulated tracery. Blocked Cll doorway to west with round voussoired head and chamfered imposts. Tall, pointed C19 chancel arch with inner order supported on large, ornate corbels, hood mould and label stops. North and south chancel windows with freestanding flanking shafts, hood moulds and label stops. East window with 4 large shafts with moulded capitals. C19 vestry archway with 4 centred double chamfered head. C19 timber roof with ornate cornices over C19 bays, flat ceiling over medieval nave. C19 pulpit, altar rail and chest. C20 pews. Tall C14 octagonal font on tall octagonal base. Ten Commandments painted on north wall of nave. Hatchment of 1739. Ornate monument in white, red and black marble to Frederick Oates, died 1862. Single C19 monument.

Listing NGR: TF0756374875

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 197188

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing